Has your child's brain been shut off?

I say that partially joking, but partially serious! I swear since last week (the last week of school) my child has just shut down any sensible thinking. He is so smart, but it is getting a little out there some of the things he asks! For example, Sunday we went to Subway (our baby girl had a bottle then) and then grocery shopping. On the way home, he asks if we want him to give her the rest of her bottle. SHE WAS ASLEEP!!! So, he wanted to know if we wanted him to wake her up, to finish a bottle that was no longer good! I'll give him that he didn't know that it was bad at that point, but seriously, wake her up?! Then last night he was laying on the floor watching tv with us and I asked DH what time it was, so he hit the button for it to display on the tv. A few seconds later DS asked if I wanted him to find out what time it was. I really hope this is not going to be an all summer thing! Anybody else's child shut down? =)

mommystiebler

Asked by mommystiebler at 12:13 PM on May. 26, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Oh yeah i know whatyou mean. I know my son is really smart I worry about his common sence sometimes. I know my SIL is really smart(top 5% of the US) but she is lacking in the common sence sometimes.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 12:59 PM on May. 26, 2009

• It sounds like he was just being helpful. Geesh. At that age (5-8) they don't have a lot of common sense like they would at 12 or 15. He was being thoughtful. He didn't think like you would...the bottle is bad. He was just thinking about his sister.

Why do parents expect extreme common sense from a young child?
    Anonymous

• That's funny... I believe that I stated that he wouldn't know that the bottle was bad!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 2:05 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I though of this question after my son did this.
    I was putting him to bed he goe sin brushes his teeth and comes out he says "mom I fixed you bath rugs" "ok, thanks" I said "were they wet?" he thinks about it "well the big one was wet on the bottom" ok i though he hung them back on the chair where I had them hanging(they had been washed earlier) I went in the bathroom a bit ago and my rugs are on the floor.....yes still wet. I think it has to do with him wanting to help and just not picking the irght time sometime.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:55 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I have a DD who does this. She is in Kinder working at a 2nd grade level, but I swear sometimes she is the most dense person I have ever met. She gets this look on her face like she is overwhelmed with confusion. It drives me crazy!
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 2:39 AM on May. 27, 2009