How do I get a Power Of Attorney for a family member?

How do I go about getting a Power Of Attorney for a family member?

I've never hired a lawyer and don't the details to getting one.

Thanks!

mrstremblay

Asked by mrstremblay at 12:25 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Depends on what kind of POA you are looking for. There is a General. There are specials. Each time Hubby Deploys we go through POA's. His truck is under a credit union and they will not accept any POA other than their own. Sooooo, it's best to check and see what you need it for and check with the institution. If it's for your children, then you will need a lawyer. We have always gone to the legal office on base, but I think people have mentioned www.lawyers.com to find an attorney. Good Luck.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:53 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Well, does that person have a will with any specifications? Is this a child? Can they sign consent for this?
    Anonymous

• for a child, the parent must draw an affidavit, that must be witnessed by a notary. If not by the parent, say an grandparent or aunt, get the SRS involved to do a case study.
    Anonymous

• Call an attorney and ask for the fee of having them draw up a power of attorney. Then it needs to be signed, witnessed, and notarized.  It's not very difficult.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:31 PM on May. 26, 2009

• You can use this, just make sure it is signed in front of a notary.
    http://www.ilrg.com/forms/powatrny.html
    Anonymous

• Go to the courthouse. The fee is nominal and go to your bank. They usually notarize for free when you have an account with them.
    rotPferd

Answer by rotPferd at 12:37 PM on May. 26, 2009

• My bank is out of state. I wonder what a bank near by would charge for to notarize something.
    mrstremblay

Answer by mrstremblay at 1:34 PM on May. 26, 2009

if you are near a US Bank they only charge $5
    Anonymous

• A parent does not need a power of attorney for a minor child. An adult needs to be competent to e able to execute a POA. They don't need to have a will--a POA only gives a person or two people the power to do something in the person's absence. A durable power of attorney sets out each and every thing that the person is granted to do on the person's behalf and can be revoked at any time the person wishes. It depends upon what you plan to do for the person.
    Anonymous

• To: grlygrlz2

I have one for myself. My hubby is also National Guard, but I wanted one for my mom to handle my taxes and other minor legal stuff when I was unavailable and unable to. I'm doing a specific one with a time limit. I was told I could do that.
    The base near by is so tiny, they don't have anything like that.
    The lawyer I hired to work over the insurance company is going to start me one tomorrow. :)
    Thanks for your help though! :)
    mrstremblay

Answer by mrstremblay at 10:32 PM on May. 26, 2009