How do you get more money from the insurance company but want to avoid the lawyer route?

I was in an auto accident and the settlement barely covers my medical expenses. I'm afraid if I settle, I might even have to owe and not have my bills paid.
It was the drivers fault and he was cited at the scene. I have proof on the accident report.

Does anyone have experience on how to converse with the insurance company and come out happy with the settlement without hiring a lawyer?

mrstremblay

Asked by mrstremblay at 12:28 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Money & Work

• Thats the best route. I would definitely see a lawyer and let him handle everything. Less stress for you and it will give you time to think of other things. Be rest assured, the lawyer will get more money and the most money than you could negotiate for.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 6:25 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Girl! Get a Lawyer, get a lawyer!!!!!! Don't settle and stop taking to the insurance company.

I would call you insurance rep and ask him/her what they would recommend. Don't let the other person's insurance be in control of this-they will do what is in THEIR best interest-not yours.
    Anonymous

• Also-the $$$ should pay ALL medical expenses, time off work, damage to your car-make sure you have all your bills for everything, sometimes things are billed seperately.

I would hate for their insurance company to rush you into a decision-only for some more bills or complications to rise.
    Anonymous

• They told me it was their final offer and that THEY were doing me a favor and if I got a lawyer they wouldn't change their amount, so I would have to pay for the medical expenses out of pocket and pay for the lawyer and go home with nothing.
    But, they said that is my right so go ahead.....
    mrstremblay

Answer by mrstremblay at 1:32 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I think they are trying to bully you. You could just call a lawyer and ask for advice on the situation. If they think a lawyer is needed in this situation make a stipulation that you want this resolved your way or no lawyer fees (they will do this).
    Best of luck!
    shanny35

Answer by shanny35 at 2:29 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Girl!! Again! They are bulling YOU to take their OFFER!! They know straight up that if you lawyered up they'd be paying out MORE.

That is why they are making you an OFFER! Can't you see that??? I am not trying to be snotty-but they are going to threaten you with anything to sign that dotted line just to save THEM money. They are working in their OWN best interest. Please-just get an appointment with an attorney. If they say that they can't do any better for you-then accept the offer.

THEY SHOULD BE PAYING FOR EVERYTHING IF THAT DRIVER WAS AT FAULT. Clearly he/she was at fault bc they are trying to settle with you. Don't short change yourself. You should be responsible for NOTHING out of pocket!!!
    Anonymous

• Why isn't your insurance company handling this for you?

Answer by rkoloms at 3:21 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I'm going to see a lawyer tomorrow!! WOOHOO! After phone interviews with 4 lawyers I found the perfect one. He told me not to deal with the adjuster anymore and he would handle everything. He told me since she's being so difficult, we're going straight to court and sue the other driver. In a court of law and since my daughter was 6months at the accident he says I have better chance of getting more than a few measly hundred dollars.
    mrstremblay

Answer by mrstremblay at 10:28 PM on May. 26, 2009