What did your baby do right before they started crawling?

My daughter is five months old today (yay!). She has fantastic head control and can push up on her elbows or hands for long periods of time. I've seen her get on her knees once or twice, but she hasn't quite figured that part out yet, lmao.

I know babies learn at different rates, but are there any surefire signs to tell when a baby is getting ready to crawl? Do you just keep doing tummy time and one day they'll just start doing it?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 12:30 PM on May. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• Crawling is not a developmental milestone and not all babies crawl.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:34 PM on May. 26, 2009

• they get up on their hand and knees and then rock back and forth(usualy)
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 12:35 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Some will get on hands and knees, others will do the "army crawl" where they just use their arms and kinda pull them selves along.
    To answer your question, No, there is no sure fire way to tell if they are going to start crawling. My little one does, but at the same time she started crawling, she also started "cruising" (walking holding onto things). I thought she was going to go strait into walking and never crawl. LOL
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 1:42 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Did you know there is like 10 different documented types of crawling? My kids got up on all fours and would rock back and forth.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 4:51 PM on May. 26, 2009

• My son crawled backwards first. He would get on all fours and then back up. I think he pulled himself up on the couch before he was able to really crawl.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:51 PM on May. 27, 2009