rice cereal

how much rice cereal should i put in a 6 oz bottle for my dd at night? i dont want to put too much.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NONE. It's a choking hazard. And just plain bad parenting. And don't try to tell me your doctor recommended it because he would have told you how much to put in.
    Anonymous

• if its bad parenting doctors wouldnt recommend it in the first place. and i wasnt going to say he recommended it...its not in my question is it? people on here are so mean and need to calm down. if you have nothing nice to write then dont write anything. so rude!
    Anonymous

• Sorry to say, but you really shouldn't unless the Dr reccommends it. My Pedi said it was an old wives tale that ceral helps babys sleep. That its just a full belly that helps them sleep, so if they are still hungry give them more formula or breast. Check with your Dr to be sure.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 12:44 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Our pedi recommended it to segway into feeding her rice cereal at the table. The Old Wive's Tale is only mythical in that it will not help the baby sleep longer (in fact, it can keep them awak because the rice can make them gassy). We use one tsp per ounce. So in your case 6 tsp. Love2B is right though. If he/she is still hungry after 6oz, they need to have more formula or BM. If you have any doubts, call your pedi's office and speak to a nurse or ask him or her at your next visit. Don't pay attention to the women on this site who offer advice anonymously, clearly they are not confident in their advice. Good luck!
    mellibelli917

Answer by mellibelli917 at 12:57 PM on May. 26, 2009

• If you don't want to KILL your son accidently, none.

NEVER, ever, put cereal in a baby's bottle.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 12:57 PM on May. 26, 2009

• i bought the nipples that are a faster flow, or avent have cereal nipples i think. then just sprinkle some in till its slightly thicker. maybe a couple tsp. im not a measerer most of the time when i cook. if its too thick its wont come out of the nipple or the baby will really struggle with it. just play it by ear. i know some say you are not supposed to , but IMO i dont think it hurts anything. and my dr DID tell me to put it in the bottle just so everybody knows. both my children did wonderful with it and are ALIVE and HEALTHY. so are my sis, and all of my friends! wow what a way to freak someone out! some people amaze me
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 1:23 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Wow some people are paranoid. If you don't make it thick, it will NOT choke your baby! You don't make it the same as you would make it for spoon-feeding.

This is how I did it. When my little girl was 8 wks old, I only put 1 tbsp of Gerber rice cereal in an 8 oz bottle. For a 4 oz bottle, I used 1 tsp. I never put any more than that. It doesn't thicken up the milk any by just using 1 tablespoon. Then by the time she was 3 1/2 months, I quit putting it in the bottle, and started feeding her cereal from a spoon (1 tbsp of cereal to 3-4 tbsp of warm formula).
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 1:42 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Your doctor told you to put it in the bottle yet didn't tell you how much? You should ask him.

http://baby.families.com/blog/5-reasons-not-to-put-cereal-in-your-babys-bottle
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:00 PM on May. 26, 2009

• My son has reflux, and the last resort is to add rice cereal for the purpose of helping it stay "down." However, there is a formula - Enfamil AR - that contains the rice starch that is a little thicker if you're needing the thicker formula for those purposes, and it doesn't have the extra calories. Nah, it doesn't help them sleep through the night :-)
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 2:46 PM on May. 26, 2009

• ok I have been putting rice in my sons bottle since he was 2 months my Dr told me it was ok as long as you dont prop it, yeah ok I can see where some people say its a choking hazzard, BUT thats if you put to much for the baby to move around in their mouth and if you prop it and leave the room, I mean come on if you hold your baby when feeding them you can stop choking. but what I do is put the rice in a old formula can so I can use the scoop and starting with 6 oz I put about 1 1/2 scoops of it in his bottle but now I put 3 with a 6 oz bottle, it really helps some, its just like putting baby food in the food bottles, so I would not listen to all these people who wan to just judge, good luck and if you have anymore questions you can email me I will not be judging you for anything
    SkylaReneeMom

Answer by SkylaReneeMom at 3:03 PM on May. 26, 2009