• In the Spotlight:

Breastfeeding Schedule

I am trying to get my 7 week old son on a 3 to 3 1/2 hour flexible feeding schedule during the day but sometimes he sleeps longer than that. is it important to maintain the shedule that i wake him to feed him at those time slots? Or should i let him just sleep? I also heard i should wake him to
not let his nights/ day mixed up. but he sleeps perfectly at night, he is sleeping 5 hours than 3 and 3 than he stays awake. thanks for the help in advance.

Crystal2009

Asked by Crystal2009 at 12:45 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would let him sleep and just feed him when he wakes up, babies that age need lots of sleep and as long as he's sleeping fine at night i don't think there's a problem
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 12:48 PM on May. 26, 2009

• at 7 weeks I think maybe you should wake him to feed him if he has not eaten in four hours. He shouldn't go more than four hours....even at night. To be sure call your Dr.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 12:48 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Do not wake a sleeping baby!! I would jst let him set his own schedual, they usually fall into their own routine. It is best to not make a schedual for a BFing baby they will let you know when it is time to eat, and so will your body.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 12:49 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I still say wake him if its been four hours....The Lactation Nurse that worked with me and my Dr said that "never wake a sleeping baby" is fooey, they need to eat and sleep...sometimes they are sleeping so long because they have not had enough to eat, therefore they do not have the energy. Please call your Dr or lactation nurse. If you do not have a lactation nurse call the hospital and they can have one call you.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 12:54 PM on May. 26, 2009

• From La Leche league - "Empirical and theoretical evidence combined continues to support current recommendations of the American Academy of Pediatrics11 that babies, most especially breastfed babies, need to be fed on cue and should be allowed to set their own routine, rather than placed on a predetermined schedule. It is our further conclusion that practices which interfere with babies' cuings have been responsible for low weight gains, failure to thrive, milk supply failure, involuntary early weaning, and possibly even some cases of colic, as well as infant regression and depression due to lack of parental responsiveness to baby's frantic cues."

Babies do not thrive on scheduled feedings. They need to be fed on demand, and they will wake up when they are hungry.

ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 12:55 PM on May. 26, 2009

• My best advice to you is if you want a ROUTINE then to just see what his natural rhythm is and then tweak it a bit. Like if he normally sleeps until 8 but you would like him up at 7 then over the next couple weeks start waking him up 15 minutes earlier and then at nap time put him down 15 minutes earlier. But babies should not be on a strict schedule.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 1:15 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Let him sleep when he wants and let him eat when he wants. He can't tell time yet. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 1:30 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I disagree with love2bmommy77. My daughter slept 8 hrs every night starting at 3 days old and I never woke her up. If you wake up your baby to eat in the middle of the night when they are already sleeping good, they will learn to wake up at that time whether they're hungry or not. Breastfeeding should be more feed-on-demand. There's not really a set schedule that any baby should be eating. When they're sleeping, they're just like me and you, they digest slower in sleep. As long as your baby is being fed when he is hungry, whether it be 2 hrs or 4 hrs, the rest is up to you.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 1:38 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I see that you're trying to get things a bit more predictable. At 7 weeks, I wouldn't be waking at night, but I would during the day. If you want to encourage more of a routine, you can definitely OFFER breastfeeding every 3hours, or whatever, but you need to feed her whenever she's hungry even if it's been only 10 minutes. With my daughter, who is 8 months, I am getting her into a routine, and I'll use this morning as an example. I woke her up from her 10 o'clock nap at 11. At 11:30, she was playing happily on the floor. I offered to let her nurse. She happily crawled over and nursed for about half an hour. Then, she got back on the floor. I did this because we needed to leave at 12, and I didn't want to wait for her to decide she was hungry. It's fine to offer - you can't make them eat if they're not hungry yet!
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 1:45 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Personally i don't wake up sleeping babies, if you let the baby set the schedule (feed on demand) it should all work out just fine.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 3:07 PM on May. 26, 2009