please share some easy camping foods/recipes you enjoy.

merryheart

Asked by merryheart at 12:53 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Food & Drink

• We camp year round and have for almost 30 years. I need a little more info about what type of camping you do. Do you cook solely on an open flame or grill, campstove, in an RV that has an oven? Let me know and I'll se what I can shoot over to you.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:55 PM on May. 26, 2009

• We love chicken fajitas. Just grill up some marinated boneless chicken with some veggies and wrap it up!
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 12:57 PM on May. 26, 2009

• You can cook just about anything on a grill. If you are cooking solely on a campfire, then you can do things like vegetable kabobs (skewer chunks of vegetables like tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, etc on a LONG skewer and hold over the fire til they are roasted), you can put foil wrapped potatoes directly in the hot coals and bake them that way, you can make smores. If you have a grill, bring along a cast iron skillet too. You can make eggs and toast for breakfast, you can make pancakes if you want, grilled meat loaf sandwiches are nice (mix 1 lb meat with 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs and some seasonings, top with bbq sauce and grill til the middle of the meatloaf reaches 165 on a meat thermometer then eat on toasted bread), and of course you can cook anything you can normally grill like fish, chicken, hamburgers, etc. For sides, you can do baked beans in the skillet too or even heat them in foil. .Grilled corn on the cob is good.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:34 PM on May. 26, 2009

• One of our favorite things to do for breakfast is prior to the trip I cut up a ton of different veggies...mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, different meats, etc...also shred tons of cheese...we will boil a pot of water..everyone grabs their own zip lock bag...we toss in however many eggs each person wants then they add the veggies, meats, and cheeses then we shake up the zip locks and toss them into the boiling water....easy fast and good for you
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:42 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I have an easy veggie side dish that we always did when I was a kid.

Diced potatoes
    Diced onions
    Sliced carrots
    Sliced green bell pepper
    Fresh mushrooms
    Garlic powder (lots!)
    Salt and pepper
    Dabs of butter (I now use EVOO in place of butter but either works just fine)
    Put one serving onto each square of foil. Seal the foil into a packet. Put on the coals and turn a couple times to keep from burning. Takes about 1/2 hour or less
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 5:06 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Here is another one for pizza
    1 Pkg. Large Pita Bread
    1 Can Primavera Spaghetti Sauce
    3 Slices Salami
    2 Slices Bacon, cut into small pieces
    1 Pkg. Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
    Sliced Veggies (onions, peppers, mushroom, zucchini)

Spread pitas with sauce, sprinkle cheese on top. Place meet and veggies on top, place on tin foil over campfire grill (make sure the flame is not too high) or on top of low flame, barbeque for about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bacon is cooked through.

texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 5:09 PM on May. 26, 2009

• http://www.google.com/search?q=camping+recipes&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8
    try this link to other links!! I hear the KOA website has some good ones
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:17 PM on May. 27, 2009