Is your child over 5 still sleeping in your bed?

My husband and I have created a monster. Not really, but we have allowed our son to sleep in our bed for mere convenience and from our son saying he is scared to sleep in his room. I need help with fixing this. He starts kindergarden in August.
Any helpful hints or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

fostert2665

Asked by fostert2665 at 1:01 PM on May. 26, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't have any! Both of my children still sleep with us. I've read many things, watched Super nanny's approach but we haven't tried anything yet! Good Luck! :o)

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 1:05 PM on May. 26, 2009

• If you really wanna get him out of your bed you have to be consitant.
    Do the night time routine. Dinner, bath, brush teeth, book, drink of water, ect ect. Whatever you do to make night time almost the same every night. Then explain to him that he's getting to be a big boy and needs to sleep in his own bed. Tell him you love him but if he gets out of bed you will put him back in bed.
    And then walk away.
    If he cries, dont worry. You've already explained to him what you're doing. He knows what will work and he's gonna work it. Just leave him there. He'll fall asleep eventually.
    If he gets out of bed, put him back in bed. Dont talk to him. Just put him back in bed. It doesnt matter what he says (unless its truly of real concern. There really was a spider in my sons bed one night). Be consistant. Luckily, because of his age this should take only 3 consistant consecutive days in a row.
    Good luck.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:06 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I'm in the same boat as you, OP. My son is terrified of the dark.
    Anonymous

• I wish I had more advice for you. My son slept in my bed until I got remarried. Then, when his SF was deployed, I would bring him in my bed because I didn't want him at the other end of the house by himself if something should happen (he was 7). But, when DH got home, he slept in his bed again with no problem. When we were trying to get him to sleep in his room though, my DH gave him one of his old Army blankets to sleep under and he thought that was the coolest. You may have already tried it, but what about letting him get his own bedding... Let him pick it out and what not. Also, night lights are extremely cheap! Try that as well! New PJ's maybe with his favorite superhero on them. My son has Superman PJ's that have the cape and everything... Superheroes don't sleep with their mommies and daddies! GL!!!!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 1:22 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Well, My 5yo DS starts his night in his own bed, then crawls in with us sometime in the middle of the night. He is not scared of the dark or anything like that, he just wants to cuddle with us. (He co-slept exclusively for 2 1/2 years.) I love my cuddle time and have no intentions of ending it any time soon. All four of my kids are in my bed at some point during the night at least twice a week. We bought two queen size beds and attached them side by side to accommodate our large family. We got him out of our bed at 2 1/2 by creating a new big boy room for him, and gave him a clear night time routine. Let him sleep with the light on if he is scared of the dark, then turn it off (with a night light, or closet light on) when you go to bed. That is what we do with our DD.

3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 2:37 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Thank you all for such great answers. I am going to try the in bed (big boy) approach and will let you all know how it turns out. I really appreciate it. Have a great day. Tammi
    fostert2665

Answer by fostert2665 at 11:30 AM on May. 27, 2009

• The only thing that worked for my son was a book called "Does a Bamboon sleep in a bed" and he told me he wanted bunk beds...we got him one and he considered himself and "big boy" and that was the end of that. He was 5....from time to time we still have sleepovers on Saturday nights as a treat.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 4:31 PM on May. 28, 2009