epidural!!!

i don't know if i should have one i'm sooo scared of the storys i have heard whos had them what did it feel like getting it????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Girl it was nothing at all. It didnt hurt at all. I think the IV hurt worse than the epidural and even that was fine. Dont worry. I plan on getting it again..it was wonderful the only thing i didnt care too much about was the fact that some people itch after and that was me. I itched for 2 hours after i had the baby but other than that it was wonderful. Everyone is diffrent though. Oh..FYI i have a low tolerance to pain too:)
    Proudparent707

Answer by Proudparent707 at 1:11 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I had an epidural with my first. The Anesthesiologist numbs the area where the epidural needle will be inserted and then places it in during a contraction so you are concentrating on something other than receiving the epidural. As with any medical procedure there are risks. Not every epidural goes smoothly but the chances you would have trouble are slim. I had Stadol with my 2nd and 3rd so the only experience I can give you was almost 12 years ago.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 1:13 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I don't support the use of epidurals during vaginal childbirth at all, for several reasons. This group on CafeMpm can help you out if you want to opt for the best way to give birth - http://www.cafemom.com/group/50251/

ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 1:17 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I had one with my last pregnancy and you don't even feel it going in, at Ieast I didn't. Everyone has their own stories and some are bad, but mine was great. I was able to enjoy the delivery and actually watch my daughter being born. It was amazing!. And my husband was able to enjoy it as well. The only thing that happened was when I got home I had really bad headaches for a week and nausea after it wore off but I'm definitely doing it again with this pregnancy!
    jasey929

Answer by jasey929 at 1:18 PM on May. 26, 2009

• it didn't hurt to get it done...but, it actually caused my blood pressure to lower and my baby's heart rate to drop drastically and plus, it wore off after 45 minutes. not getting one this time around.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 1:20 PM on May. 26, 2009

• it don't hurt that bad, but mine didn't work, so gl
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:40 PM on May. 26, 2009

• When I had my son all I had was a cervical block. I was in labor for four hours and delevered in forty five minutes. That was my first pregnancy though

With any one you will hear good and bad things about it. One thing I heard about epidurals is that it slows the process down so it might take longer to delver.

Good luck
    KellyBelly89

Answer by KellyBelly89 at 1:47 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I have had 2 and plan on getting a third. Dont listen to the horror stories...everyone is different and no two experience are the same. For me the worst part was the numbing shot they put in first, it didnt hurt...just stung a little. But it paled in comparison to what the contractions felt like. Dont worry about what others have said, just do whats right for you.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 2:33 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I had one and it was wonderful :)

My sister has had 2 with the epidural, one without. She says she would never have another baby without one :P And thats even with one of the epidural's giving her back pain for a year.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 3:10 PM on May. 26, 2009