End of my rope!!!

My 3 year old is such a PITA!!! She doesn't listen, whines, cries still at 3 years old wakes up 3 times a night and overall drives me insane. I haven't had a decent, undisturb sleep in 3 years!!! She has been a nightmare since 3 days old. I have taken her to doctors, specialist, daycare, playdates, playgrounds, libraries, zoos, etc, all you can think of I have done. I am so exhausted, discussed I just don't know what else to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my dd will be 3 in july & still wakes up a few times in the middle of the night, yes, it's frustrating, but she is your child... learn to live with it
    Anonymous

• How do you handle it when she wakes up? I understand that you are frustrated, but labeling your child a "nightmare" and seemingly meaning it means you might be in over your head. Have you reached out to local parenting groups? When she whines try calmly saying "Mommy really wants to hear what you are saying. But, I can't hear you when you are crying and whining it. Slow down and tell mommy in regular words." When she tells you validate it and repeat it. "I understand you want to go to the park. It's fun and you don't want to stay home while I clean. Cleaning isn't much fun. " Etc. Then work with her on a plan. For example "Maybe you can help mommy dust so we get done faster and we can go do sidewalk chalk". Kids whine, cry more if they feel they are being ignored.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 1:48 PM on May. 26, 2009

• oh yeah my 3 year old does it also, but I dont go to her when she wakes up at night if she is crying out of control I yell down the hall "mommy loves you, go to sleep baby" and then she will reply ok I love you too mommy, it took time to get here but just let her cry it out, I do have some nights now she wont wake up. and wneh she whines I tell her thats not a big girl, and I tell her to sit in her room til my big girl can talk to me with out whinning, and then when she is done I give her big girl things to do like she has learned she loves to help with dishes, and sweeping so try to find a big kid thing to do together, and try to keep the days full so at bed time we are really tired and sleep more. good luck
    SkylaReneeMom

Answer by SkylaReneeMom at 2:51 PM on May. 26, 2009

• My 3 y/o wakes at night - he's always been an early riser and would stay up at 3am if I let him. I finally put a baby gate on his door because he would sneak out of his room & was becoming dangerous to himself. With the gate, he realizes that until the sun is awake, he can't be awake. We talk about that every night when going to bed. He repeats it so I know he knows. In the mornings now, he'll tell me - Mommy, the sun is awake, so I can stay up, too!! Sometimes he does want me to sit on the edge of his bed a minute and if he's got to really go to the bathroom, I'll take him but he's not allowed to stay up. Sometimes he cries & I tell him, Mommy loves you very much. It's still night night time so you need to lay down. I'll talk to you in the morning. He's usually ok with that.

As for the behaviors - how do you discipline and are you consistent with one form and fair? That could be key - and keeping calm as you can.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 3:16 PM on May. 26, 2009

• keep telling yourself....and this too shall pass.....there will always be a stage in their growing years that will make things on a day to day basis a challange.
    Then you will turn around and realize she is 17 and you only have 1 yr left.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 4:34 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Dont go to her when she whines at night. When she is being good give her lots of love and kisses. Kiss and hug her in the morning, when you leave, at bedtime any chance you get so she feels more secure.
    KRISTAL_WILDER

Answer by KRISTAL_WILDER at 11:07 AM on May. 27, 2009