Cosleeping Question

I have a 3 and a half year old, a 2o month old and am nearly 8 months pregnant. My son (3 1/2) started coming into bed with us about a year ago. He used to just come in when he woke up in the morning at about 6 and then slept for another couple of hours or until our daughter woke up. Around Christmas, he started coming in in the middle of the night. He comes in anywhere between midnight and morning. When he comes he stays for the rest of the night. My daughter (20 months) sleeps in a crib in her own room all night and sometimes wants to cuddle in our bed when she gets up around 7, sometimes she sleeps in her crib until 8:30.

I really don't mind our son coming in. It isn't a big deal and I figure he'll outgrow it eventually. However, when the baby comes I don't know what to do. We cosleep from birth and have one of those little cosleeper beds that goes in the adult bed between my husband and I. We have a king bed, but... cont

JMmama

Asked by JMmama at 1:25 PM on May. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• i think you should smear arby's sauce on your varginal. i have heard that arby's sauce is a toddler deflector and they don't like the smell, so that should keep him out of your bed. if that fails, just tell him that a polar bear will eat his face or a marmoset will eat his brain if he gets in your bed.
    Anonymous

• You may want to look at helping him back into his own bed now. There's some great info on drjaygordon.com on making the transition.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:28 PM on May. 26, 2009

• with my husband the cosleeper, and me I just don't think there is enough room in the bed for our son. Not to mention he moves A LOT when he sleeps and I don't think it is safe for him to be in there with the baby. However, about 7-10 days after the baby is born, my husband leaves for 4 months, so there would be room for our son, but there is still the question of safety.

Any experienced cosleepers have suggestions for what to do?

*** If you are anti-cosleeping please do not respond. Cosleeping to any degree does not work for every family and I respect that. Please respect that our family doesn't mind having our kids in bed with us and that this is what works for our family. ***
    JMmama

Answer by JMmama at 1:28 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I think you should think about transitioning him before the new baby comes too. Only because I would worry that he'll blame the new baby for his banishment and it might create more jealousy than will already naturally occur.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 1:34 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Get a co-sleeper that attaches to the side of your bed. I used this for my son when he was born and it puts your baby in their own space right next to you. This way, you'll have enough room in your bed for everyone and the baby will be safe right next to you where no one else can sleep.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 3:14 PM on May. 26, 2009

• You need to start putting him back when he comes in. He needs to learn to sleep on his own. I think co-sleeping after the first few months is a rookey mistake.
    Anonymous

• Co-sleeping is not a mistake.
    IsaQ

Answer by IsaQ at 4:55 PM on May. 26, 2009

• This happened with my daughter. She's 4. She did the same thing your son does, but I talked to her everytime she came in to sleep with me about how she would have to stay in her own bed when my baby was born, and I praised her when she would stay in her own bed. One the baby was born, she just stayed in her bed.
    Aubles

Answer by Aubles at 5:10 PM on May. 26, 2009

• We haven't had too much trouble with this, but I read what another family does and really liked it. It isn't dealing with co-sleeping, but it might work. The kids in this family were allowed to sleep in mom and dad's room whenever they wanted-nightmare, thunderstorm, etc. The only rule was that they had to sleep on the floor, they couldn't climp in the bed with mom and dad. The kids would bring their pillow and blanket and curl up on the floor. We have only done this with Nathaniel once.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:41 PM on May. 26, 2009