Has your child been actually tested for Allergies?

I have a four yr. old son who obviously has allergies, he has been on numerous medicines, none which actually help, I had recently asked his dr. about actually having him tested, and I was told at his age (4) they would rather treat then test them, after this last medicine he was put on last week (like the 6th one)I called today and am going to request he be tested, what exactly do they do as far as testing, I heard they prick them and see what kind of allergic reaction happens? Please explain how it was for your child if you have had this done! Thanks.

SandyD78

Asked by SandyD78 at 1:32 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son was tested for allergies at age 4(he's 10 now) and they just push these plastic things in their arm or back (they all have different juices on them like grass, dust etc..). They aren't needles and they don't hurt. Then you wait about 10 minutes and they check to see if they swell and that tells them what he is allergic to. Good luck
    jasey929

Answer by jasey929 at 1:44 PM on May. 26, 2009

• We had allergens and food allergies tested on our 4 year old. Food allergies were done via blood work and that was "interesting" with a hold down while they drew 5 vials of blood.

For the grass/tree/cat/dog test, they wrote a matrix on her back for 20 items. They took dropped little drops in each of the 20 squares and if one swoll up, that was the cause of allergies.

That test was horrible for our daughter. She was only allergic to cats but it is a poke, not a needle, but a poke so the drop can penetrate the skin. And it itched her like crazy. She cried for the 10 minutes you had to let it sit there.

Good luck! It's really helpful to find the treatment. Our daughter has asthma induced by allergies and it was helpful to know the trigger.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 2:23 PM on May. 26, 2009

• They have 2 kinds of testing. My 3 y/o was tested last week and I opted to NOT do the scratch test - only the blood test. They had to draw a vial of blood and will test THAT of reactions rather than put him thru inserting allergens in his system and seeing what reaction he has. The pedi told me the blood test is 95% accurate. If it helps him at ALL - it's worth it to me.

Good luck - I know having your little one suffering so much is so frustrating to you and to them!
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 2:56 PM on May. 26, 2009

• we did the scratch test; tiny pricks on the arm that don't hurt. Histamine, tree pollins, grass, etc. He was not allergic.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:29 PM on May. 26, 2009

• My daugther was tested for a ton of allegies at 2 years old. They did the scratch test. They did them all on her back. It was a big tray of needle type things. It really was not bad at all. Of course she has gone through a ton of medical stuff... so I guess how bad it is might be different for us then others.
    VanessaV

Answer by VanessaV at 8:18 PM on May. 27, 2009