Kids Torturing Their Teacher..

So my daughter is 12 and in 7th grade and goes to a year round school. In March they got a new social studies teacher, when is a younger man (late twenties) in his first year of teaching. I found out that my daughter, and her friends, and classmates have made a bet with their money on how quick they can get him to quit. It is a contest of sorts they have. Apparently durning class they do not turn in homework, are silent when asked a question, talk and goof off durning the whole class, refuse to do as instructed, ignore the teacher and make rude comments , call the teacher by his first name, etc. I found all this out from my older daughter who is one grade higher than her.
How do you think I should handle this with my daughter? Also should I talk to her friends parents about their kids doing this as well? Should I contact the teacher?

WishyClarkson

Asked by WishyClarkson at 1:37 PM on May. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• My question is, if this is really going on, why has the teacher not called you parents, or gone to the principal? As for your little darling...if she were mine, I would march her ass into that school and tell the teacher she is sorry and she will never be anything but the ipitome of respectful from this day on. Then I would tell her to go to her room and live in fear! I would punish her by making her write a report on the importance of respecting your elders. Perhaps even some comunity service if I was pissed off enough. That is the trouble these days, there are no concequences for this kind of shit. I know you love her, but part of love is discipline. Make sure she knows she messed up and she needs to make it right. Let the other parents deal with their kids. You may want to at least let the school know who else was envolved.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 4:28 PM on May. 26, 2009

• If nothing else I think I would contact the teacher. Giving him a heads up would help him I'm sure with dealing with anything that does come up or any issues that might arise from it. He can also get the administration involved if need be. I don't think you even have to mention any specific children. The fact is, if they are being disrespectful to him and not turning in assignments they should be getting consequences for that and in the long run will figure out they are only hurting themselves when their grades and progress reports start reflecting that.
    Anonymous

• you need to beat her ass & teach her some respect
    Anonymous

• Contact the teacher and then contact the principal to be sure she is punished adequately while in school. I would contact the other parents. I wouldn't use the other children's name to the school, but I would contact their parents so that they can start taking steps too. You shouldn't be the only one combating this. And then sit your daughter down and explain that you know what she is up to. Ground her for her actions and tell her you expect her to stop. And explain if her grades drop due to her behavior she will have more consequences to come.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:49 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Yes, the teacher should know. It is hard enough having to be a first year teacher, dealing with an organized group of bullying students is dreadful. Now, having said that, the teacher should have support to deal with this type of thing, and should be able to deal with it effectively, if he has any hope of surviving in a classroom. I would deal harshly with your daughter, take away all of the money she was using for the "bet" and remove all of her other privileges to show her how serious the issue is. She was potentially messing with someone's livelihood, totally unacceptable.
    Jodie118

Answer by Jodie118 at 1:59 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Her friends and her will not think it is so funny when they fail his class. Not turning in assignments does not hurt the teacher, it hurts the student. She needs to be punished both at home and school. I would contact the principal, and the other parents.
    The students all owe this teacher an apology, and need to face the consequences.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 2:19 PM on May. 26, 2009

• That's horrible...that poor teacher...
    PB_J

Answer by PB_J at 2:41 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I agree
    TRyan

Answer by TRyan at 3:24 PM on May. 28, 2009