Any tricks for sick babies?

I have held her in the bathroom while I had the shower running, I am running two humidifiers, (one in the family room and the other in her bedroom) I have been using saline drops and an aspirator to clear her nasal passages, I have been using Motrin occasionally to help her fever and her pains. She is 15 months old, so medication otherwise is out. She still hasn't slept since 1:30 this morning, and all she has eaten today is a baby handful of cheerios. She is absolutely miserable, and she laid with me on the recliner for about an hour today, but she was crying the whole time. I just wish something would work for her, poor baby. I don't know what else to try. What has worked for you?

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:38 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you been to the Dr. to rule out an ear infection, etc.? That is where I would start. Beyond what you are already doing here is what has worked for me. Distraction - going for a walk outside was very often a help when mine were that young (still works with my two year old). Even at night it always seemed to help (them and me) to get out and get some fresh air. Also, the humidifiers and saline are good. However, my pediatrician told me not to use an aspirator (except for when they were tiny infants) because the use of it would irritate the inside of their noses and cause some swelling - certainly not beneficial. I hope you both feel better soon!
    momofthreekjs

Answer by momofthreekjs at 1:48 PM on May. 26, 2009

• If you haven't taken her to the doctor's, I would. Could be she has an ear infection. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Just lots of cuddles while watching Barney and a nice bowl of vanilla ice cream. - Shouldn't be done on a daily basis - but it's nice as a sick treat.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 1:41 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I should have mentioned she has an appointment tomorrow. Unfortunately, that was the earliest we could get in when I called yesterday. In any case, she ate lunch and seems a little happier now. Thanks for the tip about the aspirator Momofthree.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:06 PM on May. 26, 2009