Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where can I find a social skills group for my child who has ADD?

I live in South Jersey, in the woods. There are not many kids near where we live. I think my child really needs to learn to socialize better with his peers. I am looking for a group/class etc. that will help him develop better social skills. I have only come across one day camp for the summer which is far away (2.5 hours or so) and costs $5,000. Well, I can't afford that but it is really something that we need. Any suggestions?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on May. 26, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Answers (2)
  • try your local department of social services office or welfare office! My daughter has socializtion issues too and that is where i went and found a group called FAMILIES R US. They have parent support meetings, socialization for your kids ( its supervised ) extra activities like getting icecream, pizza and a movie, etc Or you could go to the closest mental health clinic/organization that works with children and they may be able to give you the info your looking for! I really hope you find it.

    Answer by lnkforever at 2:18 PM on May. 26, 2009

  • Another idea is to join a play group in your area. Typically you can hear of them through storeytime at your local library or YMCA. A small church nearby may offer a MDO ( moms day out) for 2 days a week. I have also had great luck on You can search local groups of moms and other children for meetups at the park, etc. Some even specialize in ADD/ADHD once in the group, you will make new friends and be able to plan your own get togethers.


    Answer by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on May. 26, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.