Can teething cause a high fever?

My son is 9 months old and still NO teeth. He has been teething for a few months, we can see his bottom teeth, they are right there. Sunday he woke up with a 102* fever. The doctor thinks the fever is to high for teeth, but he has no other symptoms. He still laughs and tries to play, but you can tell he just doesn't feel good. We are having a hard time getting him to eat because he doesn't want anything or anyone touching his gums.
Any suggestions or similar situations?

RysMmy

Asked by RysMmy at 1:58 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yea, teeth can cause I fever, but nothing too high. just a slight fever is normal...
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 1:59 PM on May. 26, 2009

• yes. teething can cause fever. 102 is a little high. not too bad. ...put cool rags on his head, and watch the fever to make sure it doesnt go too high.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:00 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Sounds like teething to me, especially since he won't eat anything.

Offer plenty of liquids - all of that slobbering can add up!
    Tylenol, and if the fever won't stay down you can alternate Motrin with Tylenol. (we were told every 2 hours for our daughter with her high fevers)

Lots and lots of cuddle time on the couch. This was a #1 with Kaylee.

Good Luck! Its hard, I know, but if his gums are being that sensitive it sounds like it will be any day now that they will cut.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:01 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I think in most children it is only low grade... around 100. I think a few do have higher fevers, and your son may be one of them. But if he is acting unwell then he is probably sick with something.
    I would just keep an eye on it as long as he is acting ok... if you notice and new symptoms or the fever lasts more than 3 days then I would bring him in.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:01 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I was always told by my former employer, the doctor, that anything over 101 was a sign of bacterial or viral infection.
    Jodie118

Answer by Jodie118 at 2:25 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Thank you so much for your responses! I am a new Mommy and this is all so new to me.
    When I took him to the doctor's on Sunday they said that his fever being that high was an indication of a viral infection, but he had no physical signs...just a fever. They told me to watch him for the next day or so for more symptoms to arise. We are on the 3rd day now and still nothing, yesterday he had a low grade fever and today nothing, but he still doesn't want to eat much and is irritable.
    RysMmy

Answer by RysMmy at 2:59 PM on May. 26, 2009

• My son always got 103 degree fevers when teething..its not standard but it can happen
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 3:04 PM on May. 26, 2009

• MY SON HAS CONSISTANTLY GOTTEN A FEVER EVERYTIME HE'S TEETHING -SOME DOCTORS DON'T BELIEVE THEY RELATE BUT I ALSO HAD AN APPT WITH A DOCTOR WHO SAID HE DOESN'T BELIEVE THAT TEETHING IS PAINFUL EITHER AND I HAVE A CHILD WHO IS TERRIBLY EFFECTED BY TEETHING SO I KNOW THAT TO BE FALSE ALSO
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:48 PM on May. 26, 2009

• According to what I've read as well as the Oragel container, fever and cold-like symptoms are NOT considered a "normal" symptom of teething and warrant at least a call to the doctor.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:03 PM on May. 26, 2009

• A fever is NOT a normal sign of teething.
    Anonymous