How do you know if your baby has food allergies?

My DD has a temperature of 101.5 and has red splotches all over her body that looks like bug bites. I thought it was bug bites at first, but it started spreading and they arrange in size and I've been with her all day and I don't have any bites. My guess is its food allergies. What do you think? I've already called the doctor, but they can't see her for another 4 hours.

ABPeterson

Asked by ABPeterson at 2:00 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you given any new foods within the past 24 hours?

If you have, then it is likely it is an allergy, but just remember that at this age most children grow out of their allergies (most reactions this young are simply because their bodies aren't ready for the food and after a year they generally can).
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:03 PM on May. 26, 2009

• It could be a allergic reaction.. typically they happen within 4 hours of having a new food.
    It might also be a rash from a viral illness.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:08 PM on May. 26, 2009

• sounds like my daughter she has milk related eczema and i have to watch for a fever as well .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:13 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I haven't given her any new foods in the past few hours, but I did in the past 48. But, its weird b/c now her temperature has gone away and the rash has gone away. Should I just cancel her doctors appointment?
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 2:56 PM on May. 26, 2009

• no go in , you never know
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:07 PM on May. 26, 2009

• MY DAUGHTER HAD A SIMILAR EPISODE.SHE IS ALLERGIC TO PEACHES. SHE BROKE OUT WITH A RALLY BAD RASH. THIS WAS LIKE 2-3 MONTHS AGO. SHE IS 10 MONTHS NOW. I HAVE TRIED HER RECENTLY WITH PEACHES MIXED IN A DINNER AND SHE DID NT BREAK OUT SO I AM HOPEFUL SHE HAS OUTGROWN HER ALLERGY. I DID TAKE HER T THE DR TO CONFIRM IT. GOOD LUCK.
    FISHERCHRISTY79

Answer by FISHERCHRISTY79 at 4:48 PM on May. 26, 2009