my 10 month old doesn't do anything help

My DS just turned 10 months on Friday last week. He rolls over and things like that, but he doesn't sit up yet and doesn't crawl or anything. I think he is lazy and that is why he doesn't do it cause you try sitting him in a sitting position, but he just lays back I try standing him on his legs on my lap and he wont put any pressure on his legs or feet. Also I cannot get him to tak a sippy cup at all he wont drink anything, but formula. I can't even get him to eat anything other than baby food. He wont feed himself anything like that like crackers stuff like that. I am afraid he wont eat his first birthday cake lol. Which is July 22. Why doesn't he do anything? How can I get him to eat finger foods and take a cup? By the way he was 6.12 when he was born and he was not a premie. He is 10 months and is 18 or 19 pounds also if that makes a diffrence. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:00 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My advise would be to take him to a pediatrician to get him checked out if you haven't already. My son turned 10 months old this month. He will be 1 on July 2nd. He can feed himself, and drink from a cup. He started walking a couple of weeks ago and does pretty good on his own. I couldn't believe he was walking already! I know the walking at 10 or 10 1/2 months old isn't really normal...my daughter didn't walk or even try to take steps until she was 1. My oldest did walk at 10 1/2 months too though, now that I think about it. Anyways, baby's ALL develope differently. But, I think at your baby's age, 10 months, he should at least be sitting up for sure, and also be trying to stand, or at least put pressure on his feet. Also, I would think he would want to try to be picking up crackers with his fingers and try to hold his bottle or a sippy by now. I would really check with a doctor to see what's going on.
    ihave3turkeys

Answer by ihave3turkeys at 2:07 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Every child is different and some just take thier time.... but I think I would bring your concerns up to your pediatrician. He may have low muscle tone and need some physical therapy. Does he otherwise act like a normal 10 month old? Babble, play with toys, play with you with games like peek a boo or pat-a-cake?
    My son is the same age.... and those are the other "non physical" things he is doing at his age.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:05 PM on May. 26, 2009

• His weight sounds find. I would ask a doctor is you are worried. I wouldnt call a 10month old lazy. I dont think he understands what that is. He may just be developing slower. Just keep practicing putting weight on his legs, and giving him finger foods infront of him. You may ask the doctor if he thinks it signs of autizim (spelling?).
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 2:06 PM on May. 26, 2009

• ya he babbles he even says daddy now. It isn't dada anymore it is daddy. Which my sister says is real good cause her daughter is 16 months old and just started saying daddy. He plays with toys, but he doesn't chew on them he wont put anything to his mouth. He takes his binki out of his mouth, but wont or can't put it back in. He doesn't Play Pat-a-cake. If you talk to him he will smile and hide his face, but I don't know if it is just him hiding his face or him playing peek-a-boo
    Anonymous

• go see your dr.

Friend of mine had a late crawler (12 months) and the dr. sounded concerned until she asked, "How many teeth does he have?" Answer: 1.
    Dr. says," Oh... then I'm not worried. New research is showing us that late teeth is showing a relation to late physical development."

Honestly, I don't know what research... but it's showing true with parents I talk to and pass that story around ... like an "aha" moment. But definately go see your dr. You'll feel better.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 2:12 PM on May. 26, 2009

• ya he doesn't hold his bottle yet either. It worries me cause my sister has 2 kids and was doing things way before now. Her daughters one was 8 and a half months when she started walking and 4 and a half months or 5 months when she started sitting up and her other was 10 and a half months when she started walking and 6 months when she was sitting up maybe 6 and a half so when i see them and him it worries me
    Anonymous

• I would have him evaluated by a pediatric physical therapist, and a developmental pediatrician. Low muscle tone, and lack of interest in food, etc. can be early signs of autism. Don't panic, could just be that your little one is taking his time, but if there is a problem, the earlier you know, the better!
    Jodie118

Answer by Jodie118 at 2:14 PM on May. 26, 2009

• he doesn't have any teeth yet
    Anonymous

• Well it sounds like everyone is trying to scare you...Your son is going to do the stuff when he is ready... he may not want to my son is also 10 months and has crawled once I saw him do it and he was good at it, he just refuses to and this was 3 days ago.... And not trying to sound rude but every baby is different, just stop trying to compare to other babies it will drive you crazy I did when I first had him and now I'm over it... He will do it when he wants!!! My son wont take a sippy cup either unless he sees my nephew with it first and then he wants it but he wont take his own... and he just started feeding himself.... So really the only thing you should be concerned about is sitting up.... buy one of those bumbo chairs the work really good and it will just get him use to sitting up
    mommy2b17MV

Answer by mommy2b17MV at 3:08 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I will tell you that my son was not a premie either, I can tell you that he wouldn't feed himself by himself til after he was a year, didn't take a sippy cup or use it on his own til 15 months - crawling isn't a milestone anymore -he could really just be lazy, I don't think the not crawling or standing on his own is worrysome til over 14-17 months or so. i know as his mom you can't help but to worry but he could just be lazy in certain area's. what does your ped say?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:39 PM on May. 26, 2009