Did you have an epsiotomy?

What was your experience? How long did it hurt? How long did you have to take stool softner? I am 31 weeks pregnant and planning on going natural but I am afraid I may have an epsitomy and feel the tearing. Please let me know your experience.

Thanks Alot!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:01 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i got an epidural so i wasn't supposed to feel anything BUT the epi didn't work... when the dr cut me it hurt like hell but just for a few seconds, they had to give me about 5 shots to numb the area so he could sew me up.... i didn't take a stool softner, i was okay lol... i was sore for a few weeks, had to sit on a butt pillow but alot of the "soreness" had to do with pusing out a 9lb baby
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:05 PM on May. 26, 2009

• lol pushing not pusing that was horrible :P
    josiesmommy00

• There's a difference between episiotomy and tearing. Episiotomy is when they cut you to prevent tearing. Tearing is well, obviously, when they just let you tear. I've had both, and the tear was smaller and easier to recover from. Of course, my daughter's head was smaller than my son's...the boy's got quite a coconut!
    Neither is fun, but they're really not that bad. If I had to do it again, I'd go with the tear. It healed much faster, and more easily than the episiotomy.
    But the thing I'd really like you to know is, even though it sounds awful, it is really not that big of a deal. You will be so overrun with other things going on, like having a newborn, that the tearing thing won't bug you at all. I was always afraid of the bleeding afterwards, thinking it would be awful, I hardly noticed because I was so busy with everything else. Just like labor pain, it's easy to forget about it when you've got a new baby to love!
    Jodie118

Answer by Jodie118 at 2:11 PM on May. 26, 2009

• My doctor asked me what I would prefer and I said I would prefer to tear naturally.

I did and it was so tiny I only had 1 stitch. She said if she had of done a episiodomy I would of had 10 and been in much more pain.

Your body is made to stretch and while some women do tear there are things you can do to prevent it such as not allowing them to rush you during pushing, having a warm compress on your perinium when the baby's head is crowning, NOT PUSHING ON YOUR BACK, and perinium massage before and during labor.

I told my doctor that I would like to tear naturally again this time if that's the case. THE ONLY EXCEPTION to this is if the tear appears to be heading toward the peri-urethra (sp) area or there is a medical emergency requiring the quick delivery of my baby.

Tears are easier to recover from most of the time and often MUCH smaller than a cut.
    Anonymous

• thanks so much for all of you all comments especially Jodie118 I must admit I'm not as scared as I was before. I just keep thinking if I sneeze the stiches will bust open or if I cough or go to use the bath room.... Oh and I meant tearing I don't want to just be cut I think I would rather tear than have someone take a scapel or whatever they use to my vagina
    Anonymous

• I had one with my first. I didn't know anything about birthing babies, so I didn't know I had the option not to get one. I wished I didn't get one. I had on been pushing for five minutes when the dr started injecting me with the numbing agent. I didn't know what he was doing and I kept asking because it hurt so bad. He wouldn't tell me. Finally I yelled "tell me what you are doing or I am going to kick you in the head." lol I was in pain! He told me he was just numbing the area. Then it didn't even have time to kick in before he was cutting...it was excruciating.
    I only pushed for 15 minutes total. I feel like if I had been given more time I could have done it without the epsisotomy.
    It also took a long time for the pain of the scar to go away. It hurt to have sex for at least a year. With my other two pregnancies I told them I would rather tear, and didn't have any problems. I also had 9lb babies, with huge 14inch heads.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:24 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Also I would like to add that I didn't really feel myself tear! I'm sure it contributed to the pain but there wasn't any point where I was like "OMG I'm tearing."

I was more interested in the fact that my baby's head was crowning and that she was there. I didn't even know I tore until the doctor told me. She called it a "tiny skid mark tear" because it was so small.

Anonymous

• Tearing naturally is much better than an episiotomy. Imagine trying to rip your shirt. It doesn't give in so easily. But imagine making a cut in your shirt with scissors and THEN try to pull it apart... it tears pretty fast. An episiotomy doesn't always save you from the tearing. It's better to just leave it be. There are also things you can do and birthing positions you can use that minimize tearing. Ironically, birthing on your back has the highest tearing rate. Birthing in water help minimize tearing, as well as squatting during delivery or on all fours. You can try perineal massage to help the elasticity of your vaginal muscles as well. Tearing naturally also heals much quicker than an episiotomy. A friend of mine birthed her 12 lb, 11 oz son last year vaginally and naturally in the squat position. Not a tear, skid mark, nothing.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 4:52 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I also wanted to add that with everything going on down there, majority of women never feel themselves tear if they do, and end up having to ask if they did or didn't because they couldn't tell!
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 4:53 PM on May. 26, 2009

• My midwife didn't even do them because tearing naturally does so much less damage. I tore with my first, but not my second.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:00 PM on May. 26, 2009