Is this a normal reaction or just plain bitchy?

I work for a local swimming pool contractor, so as you can imagine our living comes from people who hire us to build their pools. All summer long I get phone calls from men who are trying to DIY their pools. They expect me to tell them which nut goes with which bolt, how much sand is needed you name it. Well, I find myself getting pissed off. Like you have some nerve calling and asking for free advice when we make our living doing it for people. Would this irritate you, or am I just being petty?

salexander

Asked by salexander at 2:31 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yes.....we are professional dog trainers. It's irritating when people email us/call us and say "what do I do when........." Hey, hire us, cough up the money, and we'll share 30 years of knowledge.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:34 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Naa...it would totally piss me off too! I would tell them if they are so determined to DIY go buy a friggin book! OR charge them for the advice!
    mere417

Answer by mere417 at 2:33 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I would just say "we're not in the consulting business, you may want to call someone who can give you such advice.'
    Anonymous

• Charge them for your advice. Set up a phone line where they can get one piece of advice for a set amount of money. Or charge by the minute for your advice lol.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:42 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I would agree with all three answers above. People stop my husband everywhere and ask him for free medical advice. He doesn't mind but the rest of the family does~we are always waiting and interrupted everywhere we go. We are always polite to his patience but you just want to say you need to see the Doctor in his office tomorrow like everyone else. So yes I definitely agree with you!

Anonymous

• Yes I would think that was annoying too. I get annoyed when people call and don't want to talk to a salesman, but they want to know how much everything is and what kind of financing they will be able to get, ugh just talk to a salesman it is free you don't have to buy anything!!
    violaswamp

Answer by violaswamp at 2:53 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I think you have a valid reason to be irritated. It would be different if your profession was to give advice on how to build a pool. And if they do something wrong what if they try to blame you? I think it would be best NOT to answer them. Did their pool not come with instructions? LOL!
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 2:59 PM on May. 26, 2009