CHRISTIANS... What do you think of a fellow Christian that smokes?

I am a Christian. I was raised in a Christian home and my father is a minister. But I backslid for a few years, and got addicted to cigarettes. But now I am back to the Lord, and am still addicted to cigarettes. I am trying really hard to quit. As a Christian I feel obligated to try and spread the Gospel the best I can. But I feel like no one will take me seriously if they know I smoke or see that I smoke, and will think I am a liar for saying I'm a Christian. I think people automatically assume a smoker is a non-believer or backslidden. Like I said, I am really trying to quit, but what do you think about smokers? Would you automatically assume I was not a Christian if you saw me (as a stranger, never met me before) somewhere smoking? What do you think of smoking in general?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• no i would not assume ur not a Christian. I see people leave out of church who are Christians and light up. We are all a work in progress and are not perfect... some have other addictions (i.e. food) or they may gossip or lie etc. So no would not judge you or assume your not a Christian based upon ur smoking. It is unhealthy and u are working on changing.. that is what is important.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 4:00 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I'm Catholic, and I smoke. Big deal. Where does it say in the bible or gospel or wherever that we can't smoke?
    Anonymous

• This could be one of the weirdest questions I have ever seen on cm. I don't equate smoking with nonchristians. I don't equate smoking with anything other than it being non healthy, and that the person cares more for their smokes than they do for their body.
    Anonymous

• I would never assume you were not a Christian because you smoke. REAL Christian's BECOME Christians, they're not born Christians. You come to the Lord when you realize what you need. By this time, you've done plenty of naughty things, adopted some nasty habits, etc. Every day is a new day, and a new day to try shedding the old habits. That's all.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:36 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I think its between them and the Lord. Not my business.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 2:36 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Of course someone would assume that if they don't know you.But you know within yourself where you are at with the Lord.Just keep praying that he will deliver you from the addiction.Don't worry about what others may say.
    nikkiJ86

Answer by nikkiJ86 at 2:39 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Umm I think maybe your taking this a little far. I understand your faith is important to you but while smoking is bad for your health I do not think it makes you a bad person no matter what your religious beliefs are. I am not a practicing christian , meaning I dont go to church, and I smoke, drink beer and a few other things that might get me indited if I posted them on here. Relax hon. Think like Stewart in those old SNL episodes.. I am good enough.. I man strong enough ...and gosh darn it people like me!!! Good luck.

lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 2:42 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I think they're people just like everyone else - people are people, we're not perfect, we're not meant to be or God would have made us perfect. And, honestly, smoking is no worse than eating too many hamburgers or drinking too many sodas, and so forth.
    We all have our weak spots, things we could do better about. The great thing is, God loves us anyway - and if He loves us despite our imperfections, who are we to judge or put conditions on the love He expects us to give unconditionally, the love HE gives unconditionally?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:45 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Smoking has nothing to do with Christianity. I would never assume that you are or are not a certain religion just because you smoke.
    imacafemom

Answer by imacafemom at 2:50 PM on May. 26, 2009

• what imacafemom said....
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:03 PM on May. 26, 2009