my 10 month old doesn't do anything help

My DS just turned 10 months on Friday last week. He rolls over and things like that, but he doesn't sit up yet and doesn't crawl or anything. I think he is lazy and that is why he doesn't do it cause you try sitting him in a sitting position, but he just lays back I try standing him on his legs on my lap and he wont put any pressure on his legs or feet. Also I cannot get him to tak a sippy cup at all he wont drink anything, but formula. I can't even get him to eat anything other than baby food. He wont feed himself anything like that like crackers stuff like that. I am afraid he wont eat his first birthday cake lol. Which is July 22. Why doesn't he do anything? How can I get him to eat finger foods and take a cup? By the way he was 6.12 when he was born and he was not a premie. He is 10 months and is 18 or 19 pounds also if that makes a diffrence. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on May. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• You need to talk to your doctor about this girl! He doesn't need to be some indescribable wonder but he should sit on his own. Kids that age are not lazy, he may have some serious issues going on.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 4:17 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Mama, you can't stress about things like this. All kids are different and will develop at their own pace. If your pedi isn't concerned about it, then you shouldn't be either. I would certainly continue to encourage him to feed himself or sit up...but he won't do it until he's ready. In the meantime, just enjoy having a precious little one :)
    PB_J

Answer by PB_J at 2:49 PM on May. 26, 2009

• You should check with a pediatrician. It doesn't sound normal to me, but then again, I'm not a doctor... Like PB_J said, if your doctor isn't concerned yet, then don't worry about it. Just do what you can to encourage him to be more active.
    asyoulikeit

Answer by asyoulikeit at 3:01 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Yeah, all babies are different. My daughter never took a sippy cup at all.
    lizzeh

Answer by lizzeh at 3:01 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Also, I've read many times that you only need to be concerned about not meeting milestones if they make no effort to move (roll over, sit up, ect) at their first birthday. So...he's already rolling over and he's not even a year. I think he's probably perfectly fine...(maybe just a typical man...lazy...lol).
    PB_J

Answer by PB_J at 3:42 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Babies aren't lazy, they just are on their own schedule.

You can't rush him. He will hit the developmental milestones when he is physically ready. Pushing doesn't help at all, but may frustrate both him and you.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:58 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Your pediatrician may not be concerned, but that is no reason for you not to be, because pediatricians, and all doctors for that matter, are human, and they can miss things, especially if the issue is subtle or something they've never seen before. So, while every baby does follow its own schedule, it certainly can't hurt to have your little one checked out - "better safe than sorry", kwim? And it doesn't have to cost you a thing....All states have an Early Intervention program where an evaluator or evaluators come to your home to test your baby's skills and see where he is developmentally. If your child is a bit behind the average, they may offer services in the areas where he needs help (often at little or no cost to you, depending on your state, & provided in your home), and if he's still within the average range, then you've given yourself some peace of mind. It's a win-win either way.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:17 PM on May. 26, 2009

• wow, i was starting to walk when i was 10 months. you really need to talk to the doctor about that one. and babies aren't lazy, they don't know what lazy is. maybe you haven't stimulated him enough. try getting a baby book that teaches you how to take care of and play with your baby, and what they should be doing by certain ages. a really good one is 'baby&child your questions answered' by dr. carol cooper
    Anonymous