Gay marriage?

What are your thoughts on California passing Proposition 8? Do you think gay marriage should be legal? What about the couples that were married before Prop. 8 being passed? Do you think they should be able to continue to be legally recognized as married?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think the government has no business being involved in who a person loves, and what rights they have regarding that person.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:42 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Yes - I strongly believe in and support gay marriage. I am sad that Proposition 8 continues to stand and look forward to the day when marriage and all the associated rights are available to everyone.
    lovemyrugrats

Answer by lovemyrugrats at 2:43 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I agree with peanutsmommy. Someone else's marriage doesn't affect mine, how they got married, doesn't affect mine, who they they love doesn't affect me......who am i to say they shouldn't be married. They should also get the same rights....to me, this is discrimination.
    M4LG5

Answer by M4LG5 at 2:45 PM on May. 26, 2009

• My thought is, seriously? No really, that is exactly what I have to say about the whole thing. Sure, I understand we all have our own opinions and views on gay marriage and even homosexuality. I just don't think anyone has the right to say what someone else can do when it comes to their love life. Women fought so hard for equal rights and I suppose that is what is happening now. I just think people need to sit down and get their noses out of other people's lives. Mind your own damn business. If it is not directly affecting you, meaning that you can't do something because of it, then shut the hell up.
    bugs-momma

Answer by bugs-momma at 2:45 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Yes. Proposition 8 should stay. We live in a democratic society which means that the majority rules. The majority voted that same sex marriage should not be legal.
    gidget05

Answer by gidget05 at 2:47 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I agree with Peanutsmommy. PEANUT FOR PRESIDENT!
    mommyslate

Answer by mommyslate at 2:49 PM on May. 26, 2009

• peanut you took the words right out of my mouth
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 2:51 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I posed my own queation here.  But basically...

I believe in the sepperation of Church and State, and when it comes to the business of "marriage" we either need to get the Church out of it, or the State. Either strip from all the clergy in America the ability to sign the legal document binding two people together in the eyes of the State...you could still have a religious ceremony, but either way you need to go before a Judge to sign the paper.

or

Get the State out of it. Nix the tax benefits. Nix the insurance. Nix automatic inheritance. Nix all the legal rights. Make marriage purely religious.

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:52 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I just don't get why this is even an issue! Two adult, American citizens want to legally bind themselves in order to recieve the benefits and recognition that any other American citizens have and they aren't being allowed to do so..IMO thats wrong and unconstitutional!

Leave religion out of it! Think what you want about gay-marriage, thats YOUR right! BUT, you acn NOT deny citizens of this country the basic rights that others have, simply because of what they do in the bedroom!
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 2:53 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I agree with peanutsmommy and M4LG5. I don't think the government should be able to tell adults who they can and cannot marry.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 2:54 PM on May. 26, 2009