what do I do about my 16 month old bitting?

My 16 month old has been bitting since she was about 10 or 11 months old. She usually bites her 4 year old sister. But she has bit me before and her daddy also she has bit my mom before. She trys bitting her 10 month old cousin. I tried smaking her bottom and smaking her mouth when she does this, but it doesn't work. My grandma and a friend told me to bit her back, but I would think that would make her think it was ok to do it if I was trying to get her to stop. What can I do to get her to stop bitting?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• keep biting her back. thats what im doing to my son, he is 15months and we're running into the same prob! if he wont let go when he bites me then i just smack him (not too hard) or bite him too and it works. eventually he will learn biting=getting bit back=no fun. hopefully it works!
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 4:43 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I don't know why this showed up anon unless I accidently pressed the button, but it wasn't suopse too lol
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 2:40 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Bite her back. It works like a charm!
    maxandrubysmama

Answer by maxandrubysmama at 3:52 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I did bite her back this morning and she started whinning, but then she bit her sister again a little while ago
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 4:14 PM on May. 26, 2009

• yeah i bit my son bite a few times. he didn't like that at all! not too hard of course. he bit my finger so hard one day that it went numb and i couldn't hardly bend it! he doesn't bite anymore, but now he hits and slaps *sigh*
    isamari

Answer by isamari at 4:46 PM on May. 26, 2009

• oh and i don't think biting back will make her think it's okay, it just helps her understand that it is very unpleasant and unless she wants to be bit she needs to stop
    isamari

Answer by isamari at 4:48 PM on May. 26, 2009