my daughter and eating

whenever she tells me she is hungery I feed her, but she doesnt eat it she feeds it all to the dog, or if I put the dog outside she just wont eat, then when every people come over or she goes to a friends house or my roommate gets home she tells them she is hungery and that I have not feed her all day that she asks and I still dont feed her. I even let her pick out what she wants to eat, I dont know what to do, I am scared to go to the Dr with it cuz she hasnt gained weight since the first of the year and now I am able to see her ribs when she streches, we have a ton of food in our house for her to pick form and when we go shopping we let her pick out food just for her also, I am the end of my nerves I am so scared she is going to tell the wronge person I dont feed her and they believe her and my kids get taken from me. what can I do?????

SkylaReneeMom

Asked by SkylaReneeMom at 2:44 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would take her to the doctor...if there is no other reason for the doctor to assume you don't feed her...then they should believe you over a toddler. The doctor can then explain to her that she needs to eat - and sometimes just having the doctor say this will help. Have you tried protein shakes? There is Ensure made for children and we even sometimes give our kids protein shakes made with our whey protein (muscle milk, etc). Also kids go through stages of eating and not eating...when she is hungry enough and the food is there...she will eat. My kids will push the food around their plates one day and I wonder if they've had anything hit their stomachs all day...then the next they everything they can get their little hands on..Good luck...
    romanojm

Answer by romanojm at 2:54 PM on May. 26, 2009

• She could be in the early stages of an eating disorder - get her help NOW instead of wasting time worrying what people will think of you. A doctor may recommend a therapist or some kind of clinic... get help, please!
    guitarlove

Answer by guitarlove at 1:19 AM on May. 27, 2009

• How old is she? I agree, take her to the doc. If you are feeding her then that's all that matters, they won't find what's not there, kwim? I know how you feel tho, I was questioned for a bruised cheek at my last doc appt., and I just told them what happened and that was that, they could never suspect I'd hit my baby girl cause it's simply not ture, kwim?

She may have a medical condition, so it is definitely important to take her to the doctor.

Good luck!

And I agree about the shakes, lke pediasure and stuff, will hep her a lot.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 1:27 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I had the same problem with my son except he didn't tell people that we weren't feeding him. The doc  said toddlers often need less food than they did during the early baby years because growth tapers off a bit.

But I would call your doctor and just tell them what is going on and ask them to check her and asses if her growth is normal. Don't be afraid. Many parents have this problem, it won't be the first time they have heard of it.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 1:48 AM on May. 27, 2009

• she is 3 and they have tested her she is healthy
    SkylaReneeMom

Answer by SkylaReneeMom at 1:03 PM on May. 27, 2009