Did you ever had a relationship with a man in prison?

Just wondering because I was watching this episode on the E! channel talking about how women get engaged to men behind bars. One woman had gotten engaged with a man on death row. Have you had a lover or husband who went to jail or prison and you stuck by them?

diamondmamma

Asked by diamondmamma at 2:51 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Relationships

• I did. I was 26 and had known him since I was 10. He was a family friend and after mu divorce he called me and offerd support. He told me he was getting out in '96 and wanted to get married. Then '96 came along and his release was bumped to 2000. 2000 came along and he said it was changed to 2007.
    I told him I was done and needed to move on that I needed more then phone calls. For years I told him everything even wrote about the little things that me and the kids were up too. I could not do it anymore.
    I got married had another baby. He got out in 2007 and some chic he went to high school jumped on his bandwagon and the just got married saturday. The guy is a pig because the past 2 years he has begged me to "hook up". He has no regards to either of our relationships and he even admitted to me that he screwing the gaurds!!!
    Anonymous

• No way. But I am sure we've gotten phone calls from men in jail. No thanks, no matter how gorgeous.
    Anonymous

• Personally no, I haven't. I've got friends and family who've been in jail and prison and I do keep in contact with them.
    But to go there to meet a man that you can never have a physical relationship with, to never hold in your arms all night, to never be a regular couple, or have any private time to talk, to do whatever it is... no thanks, it's not for me. To know you're being viewed by someone every second you're together is a bit much for me.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 3:04 PM on May. 26, 2009

• One of my best friends growing up had to deal with this. Her Mom met a man in prison & married him. She moved my friend 8 hours away to a new city in a new state, just to be closer to the prison. I'm sorry, but no 10 y/o should know what the inside of a prison looks like or have to sit at the table of a trailer while her mom is in the bedroom b/c the guy earned conjugal visits. Plus, this guy was in prison for killing his wife. Who in their right mind marries a man who killed his wife & instructs their child to call him Daddy? Then, to top it off, her Mom divorced the guy before he was even released. By high school, my friend had no respect for her Mom & was a very rebellious teenager who drank a lot & was a total slut. I guess if a woman wants that type of relationship, go for it, but make sure you don't drag your kids along with you.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 3:33 PM on May. 26, 2009

• No!!! I have never even met anyone who has been in prison! And I never want to.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 3:48 PM on May. 26, 2009

• not while in prison, but I dated a guy who had a teardrop tattoo....yeah...you know what that means? lol I kinda sorta did, but wasnt sure and I tried not to focus on that past of his, but he was a little whacko. I think he's back in prison for drugs...this was many years ago.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:06 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I would also like to add that I regret wasteing those years and dragging my kids to prison....It is selffish to put your kids through that.....I see it now!!
    Anonymous

• hell no! life's too short to wait for anything!
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 4:38 PM on May. 26, 2009

• One of my ex's was in jail (not prison) while we were together. I didn't exactly wait for him but when he got out 9 months later we got back together. I was young though, and if I was with someone now who was sent to prison because of their own stupid fault then that would be it. I wouldn't even bother to keep in touch with them unless god forbid we had kids together. Though they sure as hell wouldn't be seeing their kids in person while locked up.
    Anonymous

• btw owl_feather not all tear drops mean that. sometimes people get them to represent loved ones who were murdered.
    Anonymous