Pink eye or something else ???

My twins have a greenish discharge from their eyes. One has it on the right and the other on the left. Could this be pink eye???? They are both getting over pretty bad colds and I noticed the discharge this afternoon.

brebear

Asked by brebear at 2:55 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It could be backup for sinus drainage, which sounds gross I know. Or, it could be a "cold in the eye" which is viral pink eye but not bacterial
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:59 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Yes...if they are having discharge that seems goopy, green and gross...it could be. The eyes will also be itchy, watery and sometimes red depending on how bad it is. Hand washing is key. It is super contagious if you let it be. The virus has to physically get from their eye into someone else's for it to be transmitted. It can also present in others as a sore throat, runny nose, etc...so just be sure to constantly wash their hands and yours, any toys that they put in their mouth, or near their face. I would call the doctor. Mine doesn't even require us to go in for an office visit if we are sure that its conjunctivitis...they just phone in the script. We just dealt with this within the last year...not fun
    romanojm

Answer by romanojm at 3:01 PM on May. 26, 2009

• my daughter got pink eye when she was 4 months old....every now and then she'll get that goopy build up...i just keep the area clean with a warm wet rag. if it stays bad for more than a day though i'd see a doctor...they can prescribe antibiotics and eyedrops.
    vdewes

Answer by vdewes at 8:49 PM on May. 26, 2009