Can I be allergic to pads?

Since my c-section, last friday (5/15) I feel very chafed down below and noticed a rash between my legs up in that whole area (between the butt cheeks too) I know, way TMI!

Today I noticed a large pimple or something on my pubic area (the outside lip, the part that would touch a pad I suppose...only way to explain it).

Could I be allergic to the pads? I dont bleed much at all, so I keep the same pad on for 24 hours usually. Is this bad?? (Im a tampon user normally).

Also, what can I do for the rash and pimple now?? It hurts to sit :(

HELP!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Health

• You could be allergic to pads, but you should just try to take some time away from having the pad on. You've got to get air down there. Try taking baths and letting your bottom soak, make sure to dry down there very well, and you could even use just some vaseline to help with the friction of the pad on your pimple. Also, if you're not bleeding so much, try to your a panty liner. I hope this helps.
    princessj05

Answer by princessj05 at 3:13 PM on May. 26, 2009

• try to use** a panty liner i meant! hehe oops
    princessj05

• You may very possibly be allergic to the material pads are made of.
    I know that there are pads made from organic materials, but cost more and are available through 100% organic stores or online.
    I agree that you should take time away from pads whenever you possibly can - sitz baths are great for cleansing and allowing your area to air out.

http://fervidlady.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=18

http://www.natracare.com/products/feminine_products.htm

http://manymoonsalternatives.com/

http://www.gladrags.com/
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 3:33 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I am allergic to the pads with dry weave in it. But that pimple may be a cyst i had one a could weeks ago i had a dose of antibiotics and had to sit on a warn wet wash cloth for a couple hours a day and I was good to go.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 6:25 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Conventional pads are loaded with harsh chemicals. Definitely look for one of the alternative brands listed above; in the interim, try spinkling a bit of baking soda on the pad.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:26 AM on May. 27, 2009

• OK, since you just had a c-section, a sitz bath isn't really advisable since you don't want to get that incision wet. But I agree that you should take some time away from the pad. Are you using the ones the hospital gave you? I noticed with them they were so big they got me irritated as well. Try just lying around with the pad off for a while. Make sure you have a towel under you to "catch" the mess. You can also try Balmex or diaper rash ointment on the rash and see if that helps it any. I know it sounds weird, but that stuff works wonders. Also, try not to leave the pad on so long. The longer you leave it on the longer that stuff is rubbing against your skin.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:10 AM on May. 27, 2009

• You could try using diaper rash cream. The pimple thing could be a number of things, an ingrown hair, a cyst, a wart (I hope not). I hope you get into the doctor to have it checked out. But since you said you have a rash pretty much everywhere the pad covers, I'd try the diaper rash cream. I always used Balmex, but A&D cream is good, too. I hope you feel better, and it gets cleared up soon!
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 8:44 AM on May. 27, 2009

• You could also have a yeast infection.
    mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 8:49 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Ok the "pimple" could be an ingrown hair, as for the allergy try using unscented panty liners or pads because it could be the fragrance in them irritating your skin.
    lady_kira

Answer by lady_kira at 9:12 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Could be a yeast infection. And the lump could be a cyst or boil. Try soaking in a warm bath with Witch Hazel poured into the water. WH can be bought at CVS/Walgreens...etc. I know I had stitches for my oldest and relieved alot of the soreness and itchiness. Good luck.
    emandnsmom

Answer by emandnsmom at 9:14 AM on May. 27, 2009