my baby when sleeping or napping i put her to bed on her back

and sometime through the night or naps i go into check on her and i find her sleeping on her belly,which scares the crap outta of me cause of sids,now her head is turned and no blankets are by her but i put her to sleep in between those postiners its suppose to prevent them from rolling over but she manages to do so anyhow,,my bf said i should probally make the postioner tighter to where she cant i was wondering what you other mothers think i dont wanna lose my girl to sids cause shes rolling over during sleep.she is only 7mths

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:09 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Once they can roll over on their own, the risk of SIDS drops sharply. She is now developed enough to move her head if anything presses against her face.
    Take the positioner out - they are actually a hazard, not a help. Put her to sleep on her back and let her get comfy any way she wants. If that means she rolls over all on her own, she is old enough to make that "decision".
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:18 PM on May. 26, 2009

• My son rolls all over while he is sleeping generally they should be fine if they can roll... just dont put anything but a blanket in with her while she is asleep
    mommy2b17MV

Answer by mommy2b17MV at 3:12 PM on May. 26, 2009

• My son has been doing that since he was 6 months. He loves being on his stomach. They say that as long as your baby can roll over, they should be fine on their stomach. I have a mesh bumper so he can't get his feet and arms stuck in the rails, but if he goes to the side, he can breathe through. The risk for SIDS is dramatically decreased after 4 months.
    Anonymous

• If they can roll over, the positioner is actually more dangerous. If he can roll over on his own, don't worry. All you can do is put him on his back when you lay him down. You can't be expected to stay awake and flip him back, nor can you tie him up, you know?
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 3:19 PM on May. 26, 2009

• why is the position er more dangerous jw?
    Anonymous

• It's dangerous to have anything in the crib, INCLUDING a positioner. You really shouldn't use one unless directed by a doctor and that's usually to help with acid reflux. Even acid reflux can be helped without a positioner by just elevating one part of the mattress slightly.

The rule-of-thumb is to never put a baby on their belly BUT if they put themselves on their bellies, it's fine. If she can roll over and move her head on her own, chances are that if she feels like she's not getting enough air she'll move. The reason you shouldn't put anything else in the crib is because they're just more obstacles for a baby to have to avoid in order to have breathing room. I let my son have a receiving blanket when it got too hot for wearable ones and he was 5 months old. My son rolls over and falls asleep the second you put him down. Some babies won't sleep unless they're on their tummies for some reason.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:01 PM on May. 26, 2009

• If she can roll over the positioner it's time to get rid of the positioner.

Babies die of SIDS on their backs, too. Sleeping on the back is not a guarantee SIDS won't happen. It's time to relax and enjoy her. She's strong enough to do it on her own, let her sleep on her stomach so you both can get more sleep.
    Anonymous