anyone had a vaginal birth after having a c-section?

I am not pregnant yet but I am trying at the moment. I just been thinnking about if and I when I am I want to try to a vaginal birth instead of a c-section. I had a planned C-section with my last baby because she was breech and I didn't want to have her vaginal and she ened up being 8 lbs anyways. I just want to know from some women who have had a c-section first and vaginal with there other births and how was the experince. Would you go have the c-section instead of vaginal? C-Section went great for me and I ended up having a great experince not to much pain or anything and I healed quickl, up and walking the next day! Which to do?

sarabeth1

Asked by sarabeth1 at 3:15 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My first baby was an emergency c-section. My second baby was a VBAC. I was lucky that the first doctor I went to interview was very Pro-VBAC. Some Doctors & some Hospitals won't let you do VBACS so you may want to call & ask. I think that it's weird that they won't when your risks are less than 1% of uterine rupture & all the risks of having a c-section aren't there either. I chose to take that slight risk. I did not want to be cut open again. I had a horrible experience & it took forever for me to heal. With my second, I was in labor forever...23 hours & I pushed for 4 hours & for me it was totally worth every second of it. I was up & walking around the next morning, showering, holding my baby & that evening they let me go. I have a wonderful website where my Doctor told me to go for the facts of VBAC vs C-section. I'd suggest you check it out. Do your homework & talk with your Doctor! GL!

http://vbac.com/
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 7:30 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I have not had a vaginal after c-section or VBAC. But there are some groups on here for that I am sure they would be willing to help inform you and answer any questions you may have!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 4:09 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I'm pregnant now and I had a c-section with my first. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do, but I did sign up for birthing classes just in case. I joined a VBAC group here as well that does offer a lot of helpful information. The only thing is you still have those chances of it not working out and having complications. I'm still worried and not know what to do. My doctor said either way I can try if I want and there is always intervention in case something goes wrong if I try for a VBAC. Talk it over with your doctor and most likely it depends on why you had your first c-section to begin with. God bless!
    Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 4:37 PM on May. 26, 2009

• The funny thing about a VBAC is that you have less chances of complications with a VBAC than you do with a repeat cesarean. There is a 1% risk of uterine rupture. Basically you have higher risks with anything else, if it makes you feel any better. You can check out the i-can.org website and look up VBAC friendly doctors and midwives. Go on the Barnes and Noble website and type VBAC, there's a whole list of "required reading" for anyone wanting to or considering a VBAC! Mine went perfectly and while my c-section went smoothly for the most part (there were some issues that stand out in my brain even today) I completely regret letting them talk me into it and am glad I did have my VBAC and plan to do it again.
    Anonymous

• I had an unplanned c-section with my first child. I educated myself on childbirth and did a lot of research and took classes. I will be trying a vaginal birth any day now with my second child.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 4:52 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Anon that was good advice you gave only I wish you didn't make yourself anon so I can ask you more questions. Sorry poster, I'm taking over your question. i had a c-section with my first b/c I didn't dilate all the way, but doctor was still going to try to have me deliver vaginal only if baby was small. Had an ultrasound done but they could not tell how big or small baby was. I was in labor for more than 30 something hours. If I hadn't had my baby through c-section any sooner she would have died. Of course they discovered this after I had her. So that is my fear of trying again and it not working out regardless of how much intervention they say there is. Hope you read this anon. Thanks!
    Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 4:53 PM on May. 26, 2009

• oh..and...just to let you know, i was going to schedule my second c-section until i had a very realistic dream about having a natural birth (it was a boy in my dream) before i knew it was a boy...crazy! So, I got my team together. I got the OK from my OB and made the switch to Nurse-Midwife. Got a birthing Doula, Acupunturist and Hypno-therapist. I have great support. I will have my husband, mom and doula in the l&d room with me.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 4:55 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Gelijones, sending you a pm.
    Anonymous

• yes i have had a natural birth after having a c section . and in the following year. the doctor was telling me i am very fortunate. but i heal very well and i could go on having vaginal deliveries but to tell u the truth i didn't even know it was all that risk to begin w/. but everything went fine. as fine as natural delivery does anyway . lol
    michmm03

Answer by michmm03 at 7:17 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Oh, and I am pregnant with #3 and plan another VBAC with this one.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 7:31 PM on May. 26, 2009