car seat q's

my youngest will be 1 in july.. time for a forward facing carseat.. my oldest is jsut 3 and had the Alpha Omega Eliete... we love this car seat... we were thinking about getting another for my soont o be 1 year old.. but heres are delema..

the AOE... harnesses until40lbs and 43inches.... hes 3 and 30lbs and 37inches... we want him harnessed until he is atleast 5... do you think he will be able to stay in this seat until then?

or should we look for a new one for him? if so what band?

we have tried sitting him ina few and taking test drives.. he ahtes the graco natulas, and the biatrax ones.. so what other options are there? our buget is under $200.

2cuteboysrmine

Asked by 2cuteboysrmine at 3:18 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Since you are going to buy a new seat anyways I would go ahead and buy the 3 year old a seat that harnesses longer then the one you have. We have the Britax Regent for my son and he loves it, he is 5 1/2 and still has plenty of room. DD has Recaro.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:13 PM on May. 26, 2009

• We like the Apex65. It harnesses up to 65lbs, then converts to a belt positioning booster to 100lbs.

It's under $200.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:36 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I would recommend that you pass your AOE down to your youngest (as long as its not expired) and consider keeping him or her rearfacing past the first birthday. The AAP now recommends that toddlers remain rearfacing until they are at least 2yrs. old and 30lbs. or until they reach the rearfacing limits on their seat. This is because it is 5x safer for them to be rearfacing than forward facing.

Then I would get a new seat for your 3yr. old. If he doesn't like the Graco Nautilus you could try the Britax Frontier, the Sunshine Kids Radian, Recaro Como or Signo, the First Years True Fit Convertible Car Seat, Britax Regent, or the Cosco/Safety 1st Apex. Some of those may be a bit over $200 but you may be able to find them on sale. Both the True Fit and the Apex65 are regularly under $200 though.

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 5:08 PM on May. 26, 2009

• What Sarah said :) It is highly recommended to keep your child rear facing as long as possible. Children's spines can literally snap in even a low impact forward facing crash. The reality is very scary and rear facing your child gives him ultimate protection in this area.

The 2 seats I would recommend the highest are:

Evenflow Triumph Advance (Mine was $130 at Target). It RFs to 35 and FF to 50 (I think).

And the True Fit is even better if you can afford it. RFs to 25, FF to 65, and has the tallest shell on the market. It retailes around $200, but especially now you can find it cheaper.

too bad you don't like the nautilus for your 3 year old, it's a great seat. The Sunshine kids radian is also good, and the others Sarah recommended.

If you would like any more information on why it's so important to keep your children rear facing for as long as possible, let me know! I can show you some mind blowing crash test video too.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 1:22 AM on May. 27, 2009

• My son was 40lbs by 3 1/2 so there are no guarantees. I didn't feel he was ready or safe enough to be in a booster & our Britax Roundabout (which I loved) was only approved up to 40lbs so I bought him a Graco Nautilus (which I also love) which can be harnessed till 65 lbs. then used as a booster till 100lbs. If either your one year olds seat or the 3 year olds seat can be left rear facing for more time then you should put the one year old in that seat and leave him/her rear facing for as long as the seat allows. The new recommendation's for rear facing are higher than 1 yr & 20 pounds...it's like 2 years now and 1yr & 20s is the minimum.

Marissa823

Answer by Marissa823 at 8:39 PM on May. 27, 2009