Help! My 15 month old chokes on anything I give her to eat from the table including Stage 3 baby food. What do I do? Anyone with Experience?

My baby girl who is 15 months chokes on anything from a cracker to Stage 3 baby food. It's not just choking, but she'll throw up everytime she chokes and I mean everytime. She should already be eating these things. Any one have any experience with this? What do I do?

mrsmendoza2006

Asked by mrsmendoza2006 at 3:52 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son had a really hard time switching from stage 2 to stage 3 too. What I did was take a jar or stage 3 and a jar of stage 2 and started with 1/2 the stage 3 jar mixed in w/ the stage 2 and slowly added more and more stage 3 until the whole jar was mixed in and then gradually reduced the amount of stage 2. And for things liek puffs and stuff like that i literally had to smash them ad let him suck them off my finger in order for him not to choke... If it doesn't help you may want to check with the doctor to make sure nothing is interfering with her esophagus just to be sure...
    landensmommy411

Answer by landensmommy411 at 3:59 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I know you know this already but why don't you try from the begining again slowly but surely your baby will get the hang of it I know she should be eating table food by now but sometimes you might just have to start over in things. Or just make sure when you do give her table food make sure it is mashed up completely. Or just take her to the doctor. Hope she starts to feel herself soon.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:01 PM on May. 26, 2009

• My son was/is a huge choker!! he would choke on cheese, puffs, anything really..!! it was odd.. he's 18 months now and has slowly stopped, I have always just had to really really cut things up for him and only give him 1 pc of food at a time when other kids at 8-9 months old are feeding themselves he'd shovel it in, then choke, then puke - lol!! it has gotten to be less, I just make sure to cut things up- I believe my son started getting better around her age, maybe a little sooner but I would call the doctor to maybe see what they think - it never hurts to get it out
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:03 PM on May. 26, 2009

• My DS is 15 months old and just recently (about 2 months ago) started being able to eat regular table food without choking (& throwing up) on everything. My family would try to give him crackers and stuff and I always had to tell them no because he had a sensitive gag reflex. I was a bit worried too as my DD was on table food at 8 months. I asked the DR they didnt seem to think it was anything serious. Then almost as if it was over night he started being able to eat stuff. My DD gave him a grahm cracker and I was just about to take it from him figuring he would choke and he stuff it in his mouth, chewed it up perfectly and ate it. They I started trying different things and he was able to eat 80% of the things I gave him. Now he eats like a champ and never chokes (which I was starting to think would NEVER happen). I would just wait it out and try to give him small soft stuff a couple times a day and see what happens.
    Vsoul0608

Answer by Vsoul0608 at 4:07 PM on May. 26, 2009

• First, stop giving stage 3. You'd gag too if you have a mouth full of puree and suddenly hit a chunk in your throat.

As for the rest, have you spoken to your pediatrician about this? Some toddlers have such a wicked gag reflex they need help (therapy) to overcome it. Others have sensory issues keeping them from eating properly.

If you get no help from your pediatrician (I know some have the "wait and see what happens" or "she'll outgrow it" attitude) then call Early Intervention and tell them your concerns.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:34 PM on May. 26, 2009