Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you feel about a man who has physically abused you still being being to have visitation with your children?

Assuming you have divorced/separated of course.


Asked by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • Mine got visitation. One day he was beating on one of the boys and the other boy jumped in to help his brother. They beat the sh*t out of their dad. Sad story but he never laid a hand on them again.

    Answer by momtoeight at 8:06 PM on May. 26, 2009

  • I personally feel that he should not legally be allowed anywhere near those children until he has been through anger managment and lots of counseling. Even after he has gone through those programs I think that he should only be allowed to have supervised visitation. People with problems tend to fall off the wagon sooner or later. Abusive people included. Keep those children safe! No matter what!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on May. 26, 2009

  • I think if he has visitation it should be supervised for their safety

    Answer by firethearson at 4:04 PM on May. 26, 2009

  • Supervised visitation would be best. If it was me he would never see his kids again. Even if i had to hide them from him. good luck

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:08 PM on May. 26, 2009

  • i agree with everyone else supervised visits for sure, especially if he was physically or verbally abusive toward or in front of the children

    Answer by Kennadismom at 4:27 PM on May. 26, 2009

  • I would be terrified and outraged. I was in an abusive relationship prior to meeting my husband there were no children involved but years later I still just want to punch him until he begs for mercy like he did to me. I think I would lose my mind if I had to allow visitation of my children to my abuser

    Answer by katiekruschke at 4:58 PM on May. 26, 2009

  • It depends... was the abuse documented?
    If it was, then it's nuts to me that a judge would allow them to have unsupervised visitation. All of these women that keep their mouths shut and don't press charges will be facing this too after they finally get the nerve to leave. It needs to be documented to protect the children in the future incase you ever do leave.
    Would I send my child with someone I knew had a bad temper and beat me? NO, I wouldn't. I would be pushing every way I could to get it stopped legally. When he hit me, I'd have taken pictures, I'd have shown someone, told someone or left (which I did).

    Answer by lisa_ann_p at 5:13 PM on May. 26, 2009

  • I was in this boat once. I hated it, even more so because I knew that he didn't really love my child. Eventually he stopped wanting to see my child, but keep going to the judge bring up the past abuse. Monitor your child when he/she comes back. If anything is wrong call the police and document it. Bring it to the next court hearing. It's sad but the Judge has to follow their job and that is to allow the biological father to see their child. The best thing is to get remarried and have your child adopted by your new husband. He'll probably fuss and not want to give up his rights but hold on, he will eventually tire out. Use logics too. What got mine to give up was realizing that if he allowed my husband to adopt Autumn was he wouldn't have to pay child support.

    Answer by Glickstein at 5:30 PM on May. 26, 2009

  • You have to prove he's a danger to the children to keep him from the. Mine abused me but not the kids so he had the right to visitation.

    Answer by admckenzie at 5:48 PM on May. 26, 2009

  • How a man treats his wife isn't always how he treats his children. Sometimes he loves them and owns her. So it would really depend on the situation.

    Answer by Chrissy629 at 7:12 PM on May. 26, 2009

Next question in Relationships
dreams about exes

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
IS it too early to be showing?