• In the Spotlight:

What are the legal rights of a single teenage mother? Can the father make her take a paternity test to claim partial custody of the child?

hypothetical situation: girl gets knocked up. boy and girl break up. boy wants partial custody of the child. is there any possible way he can get it or does the mother automatically get custody?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Unless he can get a court ordered test, and he may, then you are forced to take it or face the consequences. He may get visitation, but I doubt custody of any kind as they are not married. He will of course need to be current on child support.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 4:09 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Not automatic. Yes, he can get a court order for a test. Depending on the state he may be able to get partial custody, or may not. My state does not have joint custody
    Anonymous

• He will have to pay for the test, but yes, he will be able to get custody, especially if he's willing to pay child support.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 4:05 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Sale-custody doesn't matter if you aren't married. If you have a child and are not wed in my state and have no visitation scheudle that is court orderd than you have "equal" rights.
    Anonymous

• It is rare here that a newborn will be seperated from it's mother for any long length of time. But I am not sure about other states. Joint custody has just as much to do about rights than visitation, like notifying about Dr apt's, name on birth certificate, not leaving the state or moving out of state without both parties agreeing. And it is expensive. An attorney costs alot of money, and it takes alot more time and money to do a lengthy custody agreement than just plain old visitation.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 4:13 PM on May. 26, 2009

• What state doesnt have joint custody?
    Anonymous

• For best answers I would contact an attorney that specializes in custody issues. Bc they were not married (and if the baby isn't carring his name) he would have to do all the leg work with the courts to prove he is the father and be willing to support the child.
    As for custody depending on age of teens... under 17 I don't think so... but could change at the age of 18 or 19.
    It also depends on the state the child's parents live... laws vary from state to state when it comes to this...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:16 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Washington state. And, you don't need an attorney to file for visitation or joint custody
    Anonymous

• NOTHING is automatic. It depends on each state. I would contact an attorney for correct info for your state.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:51 PM on May. 26, 2009