What are some problems cause by a hernia?

My daughter is 9wks old and her belly button is "out there" and it has not always stuck out that far! But she has been having pooping probs either she stopped up or has diareahh! Im just wondering is that a problem you would have with a hernia?

calliesmama09

Asked by calliesmama09 at 4:11 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sometimes the baby can be extremely fussy (colicy) if she sneezes or coughs you will notice she may be in pain...you may notice her belly to be distended. My niece had a hernia at the age of 5 months and had to have surgery to repair it. If you believe your daughter may have a hernia, you need to get her seen by her doctor. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 4:19 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Hernias can be dangerous. It depends on what and what kind. Many hernias involve weakend muscles arounf the abdomen. Intestine can sometimes communicate through the weakened area. If the intestine gets stuck and cannot move back into the abdomen it can become stragulated and die. If that happens the entire body is at risk for sepsis. If you believe it is a hernia, if it changes in size or she acts as if she is in pain, bowel issues(like you stated) I would have her evaluated as soon as you can get in. Sometimes they are so small Dr's want to just watch them for a time. A few axctually do heal themselves. I would let the Dr call that shot.
    My granddaughter was born wiht a massive umbilical hernia. It had to be surgically corrected the day after she was born.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:46 PM on May. 26, 2009