This is bothering me.....

I had my baby almost a month ago and something has been bothering me.I was bent over with my back exposed getting ready for my epidural.The guy that was doing it said something about scoliosis.I don't know if he was talking to me or the nurse because i was so doped up i was just trying to keep my eyes open.I pretty much forgot about it till several days after i came home from the hospital.I'm 30yrs old and have never had back problems.Should i bring this up to my midwife at my 6wk checkup?It's really bothering me that he said that.

ZMK

Asked by ZMK at 4:17 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Health

• I would ask your midwife just to make sure. He could have just been asking or talking about someone else. I wouldnt let it stress you out to much, but id ask to ease my mind
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 4:19 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Sure I would. I have always had a mild case of scoliosis, as well as my second daughter. We have a few back problems, mostly just sore back from time to time. Its really not that big of a deal. For your piece of mind talk to your Doc about it. Unless you have a severe case there isn't alot they can or will do for you.
    susan6xblessed

Answer by susan6xblessed at 4:23 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I have a mild curvature of my spine due to my left leg being 1 cm shorter than my right leg, have had it since I was a kid. It's not a huge deal. It causes me some back pain sometimes, but nothing much other than that. It was harder for them to get my epidural in so that may have been his concern. Maybe he just was talking about someone else or something. I would ask to be sure but don't let it bother you.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:29 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I have mild scoliosis, However, epidurals can cause some residual pain months after the birth. It always happened to me. But many pains can also be caused from trapped emotions and your subconscious mind tries to communicate through pain. . . till you learn how to release it. www.drbradleynelson.com
    1heart1mind

Answer by 1heart1mind at 4:52 PM on May. 26, 2009

• You dont necessarily feel scoliosis. Its just a curvature of your spine. It means its like an S instead of straight. It could be he noticed it because while he was feeling for a vertebre cavity to put the needle in. Its common but a lot of people have varying degrees of it. I used to have mild scoliosis but my chiro has worked on my back a lot in the last 3 months. I would be surprised if I still had it. He adjusts my hips a lot. Its not usually a problem but if you are concerned, see your doctor. They wont do a whole lot unless its severe and its likely that you would be better served to see a chiro.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:16 PM on May. 26, 2009