My son is about to outgrow his car seat, what is next? Saw a post and now I'm confused on what to get...

My son is 10 months and just under 22 lbs, the weight limit on his current rear facing infant seat is 22 lbs. I was planning on getting a toddler or front facing seat soon. But, i just saw a post about carseats, saying that they should be rear facing until 2 years old and or 30-35 lbs. So my question is, what type of seat should I get? Is this a mandate or is up to me? What would or did you get at this point in your babys life in the way of a carseat? Keep in mind, we are on a limited budget and cannot afford a top of line carseat but I still want my baby to be as safe as possible.

truthteller0722

Asked by truthteller0722 at 4:20 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no....rear facing is until their first birthday or 20 some pounds. which ever came first is when I switched the car seat around. my sons weight came first. he was 22 lbs at his 10 month check up so I and the doctor said it was okay to put him in a front facing car seat. I went to target and got a graco car seat I don't remember the name of it exactly but it was $79. It went on sale the following week to $59 so I took it back and got it for the sale price. (they do that in my area). Just check the sale papers and get the best priced. I would not suggest getting anything other than graco or evenflo. I would not buy safety first or costco. they really suck and do not keep baby safe. Stick to graco or evenflo. the best products for the money.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 4:26 PM on May. 26, 2009

• A convertable carseat will work fine till about 30-35lbs in msot cases, and can be turned around after that. My dd's pediatrician though just told me to turn her's around when she was 18 months old. We got our convertable one at Walmart for about $60
    Anonymous

• He's outgrowing a carseat at 22lbs or the infant seat/carrier?

After the carrier (if that is the one you mean) is a convertible carseat. There are some reasonably priced ones and they go on to work forward facing as well.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:27 PM on May. 26, 2009

• the infant seat/carrier is what I mean yes. thank you all, looks like a concertible car seat is the ticket. and Walmart and Target are perfect. Thanks again!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 4:33 PM on May. 26, 2009

• convertible sorry!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 4:34 PM on May. 26, 2009

• i have a convertible my DD outgrew her infant carrier a month or 2 ago and i got one that does both rear and forward because i plan on extended rear facing (2yrs, 35 lbs) and it works for those weights and heights
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 4:36 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Keeping your baby rear facing as long as possible is the safest thing you can do for your child. it's not the law to practice extended rear but it's the responsible thing to do. There are convertible seats that rear and forward face.
    If you don't have a large budget... a cosco scenera would be a good choice. It rear faces to 35 pounds which would fit your child to around 2-3 years and then later forward faces to 40 lbs.
    The scenea costs around $50
    We own one of those for car pooling and such... and we own 2 Evenflo Triumph Advance which run around $120-130
    Other good seats, but cost more are the First Years True Fit and the Britax convertibles
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:40 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I would buy the convertible. They make a convertible that rear faces to 35Lbs, and foreward faces to 65 lbs. Babies are safest rear facing as long as possible. Heck we would be safer that way.  http://www.britax.com/

will show you some of the safest seats, and some are available at Target, and they will last until your child is totally out of a seat.  Ohio's law is 1 and 20 to foreward face and 4 and 40 to come out of a carseat.  Laws vary by state.  We have a booster seat law to 80 lbs.  Find your states law at

http://babyproducts.about.com/od/statecarseatlaws/State_Car_Seat_Laws_Child_Safety_Seat_and_Seatbelt_Laws_by_State.htm

ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:46 PM on May. 26, 2009