How big or small should I cut food for my 9 month old?

I have been avoiding chunky stuff but I just started cheerios and cut up fruit. He is REALLY good at chewing/gumming his food, but I don't know how much I trust him. I started giving him pears cut up to about the size of a pea. Is that a good size or should I make them bigger or smaller? I also gave him tiny bits of hamburger and chicken at a cookout yesterday, it was like crumbs because I'm so paranoid about choking.

OwensMama824

Asked by OwensMama824 at 4:34 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Every mother is paranoid about their baby choking on new solid foods. The only thing you can do is give him the foods and watch him. my rule is....on your index finger at the tip, is the first line/crease on the inside of your finger where your first knuckle is.....go about half the size of that and that is how big you give the food chunks. and then as he cuts more teeth and gets older, the chunks get bigger.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 4:40 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I think it depends on your child and the foods you are giving. My son is 10 months and his foods are pea to dice sized for most things. Meats I tend to do smaller becasue they are harder to mash and other things like breads or soft veges a little larger.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:44 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I did strips of food, like a pear cut in a long skinny rectangle (think about a hot dog, it's the size of their esophagus so i cut it skinier for her) for her to grasp and chew. I also cut things pea and corn size. Like a frozen bag of mixed veggies. Of course they might make funny noises when they are learning but just watch them.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 4:45 PM on May. 26, 2009