Would you let your dd go to prom in this situation???

My dd who is a junior in high school came home today and told me that she had to ask me something. She has a friend that does not have a date for the senior prom. His girlfriend abruptly broke up with him...Our problem is the prom is 3 days away and if she goes we would have to go find a dress and put out a bunch of money for other expenses...Would you let your dd go to the senior prom in this case or would you consider it to last minute? My dh and I are kind of having a hard time making a descision and we could use some outside opinions on this.

my4kids274

Asked by my4kids274 at 4:36 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I would allow her to go .She might not have a date next year or be asked to go with any one.
    I shop in thrift stores all the time and see beautiful expensive brand named prom dresses only worn once donated by people kind enough to give to thrift stores and lucky for you to find one such in excellent condition and so inexpensive. consignment shops might have good brand named prom fashions also .maybe even cheaper than 30.00 but looks like 100. or more. the same with shoes ;they can be found there also . they should look brand new if the person wore them only for one night. no one will ever know and you dont have to tell any one . they will think you spent alot of money and effort finding the perfect dress and shoes.Dont forget the purse also . yes you yourself or your sister freind or even mom can do your hair
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:42 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Probably not. My kids know I don't do short notice though.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:38 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I'd let my dd go in that situation. She's not being difficult, and she will only have a couple of chances to do this sort of thing.
    mary717

Answer by mary717 at 4:39 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I would, I never got to do those things and you gotta live while your younge, if you have the money why not, you could just buy the dress and she can do her own hair and make up
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 4:40 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Yes I would let her go.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 4:40 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I definately would. I don't see any problem in it at all?? It really isn't her fault that it is short notice. I mean if she would have known months in advance that she was going and just told you now, then maybe that would be a different story, but she didn't. Let her have some fun!! You only live once!
    SecretSuzy

Answer by SecretSuzy at 4:43 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Im a senior and my prom was last friday, it sucked, but I baught a 30 dollar dress and looked better than half the people there.
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 4:43 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I would let her go. Prom is an amazing experience and shed be helping out a friend.
    jazzysmommy1004

Answer by jazzysmommy1004 at 4:44 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I would let her go as well. I know she has next year, but something could happen next year and she may not be able to go. I would let her go. It is just one night. I agree with NicholeAT, You do her hair and makeup, it is simple to do. A curling iron to put curls in her hair a pretty hair clip and a whole lot of hair sprayLOL. You can find a lot of dresses on sale right now as well.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 4:44 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Yes I would!

My dress for the prom cost me just $40. I did my own nails and hair. Borrowed jewelry. My shoes were something like $10 at Payless... There is no reason that the prom has to cost more than a wedding.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:46 PM on May. 26, 2009