swimming

My daughter is 5 weeks old and her grandfather is coming to visit June 12th and is staying in a really nice hotel with an indoor swimming pool.Is she too young to get in the water and if so how long should i wait

alaina_20

Asked by alaina_20 at 4:47 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know about being that young, but babies generally can swim. My grandparents always had a pool growing up, and when I was only a couple of months old my mom and grandma had me in the pool. It didn't do me no harm, but I would consult the baby's doctor, since 5 weeks is pretty young. But if it's all good then have fun, use SPF, and enjoy!
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 4:55 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I would think 5 weeks is a little young there are alot of chemicals in public pools
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 4:57 PM on May. 26, 2009

• i was told to wait till 6 months because of all the chemicals. 12 months is better just because of the bacteria that can be around the pool and people. but anyhow i waited 6 months which is the same age i was told for sunscreen because it can be absorbed to easily with them.
    trelyn

Answer by trelyn at 5:10 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I would say it is okay, but if the water makes your skin itch or smells strongly of chlorine then those are signs of pH or chemical imbalances in the water and you should get her out immediately. I'd say it's okay so long as you don't get water on her face/around her mouth (there are chlorine resistant bacteria) and soap and lotion her really well afterward to get any irritating chemical residue off.
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 5:37 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I wouldn't want to put my newborn in a public pool due to all of the chemicals.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:33 PM on May. 26, 2009