IYO ~ If there is a case where abortion is necessary to save the mothers life, is it okay?

What if she has other children? Or if she's single mother or other children??

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 4:52 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think that that specific situation is a very rare one. I'm not sure what my answer would be because it would be hard for me to justify killing an unborn child to save my own life. I'd have to seek a lot of counsel and prayer.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:56 PM on May. 26, 2009

• IMO- I am a pro-lifer. I do not believe in abortion EXCEPT for the situation of rape, or it risks lives of mothers and there is NO chance of the baby surviving. I don't think there is anything that is okay with abortions. A mother has to decide whether to risk her life to carry a child to term or to terminate a pregnancy and save her own life. No one wins in these situations. someone will always end up hurting.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 4:57 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I did it. My uterus was TRYING to abort, but it didn't abort fully. It was still alive in there. I was told that the fetus had attached to my cervix, & they pretty much told me that there was a HIGH chance of death for the baby & myself. I did not have insurance at the time, so my gyno said i can pay for an abortion since i was still under a certain amount of weeks. So, i did it. My husband was pretty set in the decision. I am not pro-life. But i had always decided that I personally would never get an abortion. And i did. The guilt is immense, i still have not healed from it. I have had mothers tell me too, that it could have been saved. I've been ridiculed for it, yet no one knows the pain i still carry from this. Regardless of my religion. I believe i made the right choice. Had i waited longer in my pregnancy, we both could have died.

Anonymous

• That would be the only circumstance(because I do have other children) that Id even consider it.

However, thats my personal opinion...what others do is their deal not mine.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:04 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I would not - for any circumstance.

Having said that, I did read the post about the nine year old raped by her step-father - I feel mixed emotions on that one. On the one hand, I am still adamantly against abortion, period. HOWEVER, I feel that that circumstance should have never happened, and that this is one spot that I would make the exception. I don't like it. Not one bit. But I understand it.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 5:07 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I think a mother has the right to abort her fetus if she may die or have permanent health problems as a result of carrying the baby to term. If she has other children who depend on her, and she chooses to keep the fetus even though she may die, I see that as completely unfair to the other children she already has.....but that's just my opinion. Everyone should have a right to choose considering their personal circumstances.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 5:14 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I'm not even sure what I would do in that circumstance. So I'm not about to tell another women what they should do. On one hand I'd like to believe that I could go ahead with the pregnancy and have faith that everything would be fine. On another reality comes crashing down and I know my husband and daughter need me.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:21 PM on May. 26, 2009

• That is the one circumstance where I believe it is okay.. when the mother's life is in danger. I have a friend where this was what she had to do to spare her life... if she would have went to term.. both her and the baby would have died. So, there are those rare circumstances but they do happen.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 5:33 PM on May. 26, 2009

• no
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 5:35 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I only say no, because God determines if you live or die. To trust in a doctors opinion rather than having faith in God would not be something I am willing to do. I would get more than one doctors opinion anyways. To kill a human life to save my own seems selfish, but that is just my personal opinion.
    God bless
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 5:42 PM on May. 26, 2009