Thought school paddling was a thing of the past?

As it turns out it is an option here and my child actually has a choice between being paddled or serving detention. This is for getting another tardy during the current grading period. I am hoping she chooses detention as I don't know how much pain and/or humiliation is involved in a school paddling. Anyone else had a child having to deal with a disciplinary decision like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on May. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• How old is your child? I think paddling is legal in a few states still, but i thougt parents had to sign a permission slip allowing the school to paddle.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:02 PM on May. 26, 2009

• My son's school still uses corporal punishment. However, you have to sign a release at enrollment stating it is okay for them to paddle your child. If you do not allow your child to be paddled, they suspend them from school for certain behaviors.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 5:03 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Oh no way you have got to be kidding me!!! I thought teachers couldnt touch kids in any state for punishment. Here teachers have to becareful to not even hug a child.
    susan6xblessed

Answer by susan6xblessed at 5:11 PM on May. 26, 2009

• We homeschool so I'm the only one having the honors of doing the paddling, hehe.

I think you should have to give the school permission to touch your children like that first. I wouldn't allow it.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:25 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Dear God! CHOOSE DETENTION! While I never received the paddle while in school, it was used on other children at my elementary school and it was extremely traumatic for everyone in the school, not just the person getting hit.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 5:27 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I think that if your child decides to take the paddling and get the whole thing over with - well, its her choice. Is she tardy because of something she is doing to be late or because of you? I know that sounds terse, but sometimes children are late to school, endure the detention/punishment all because mom or dad can't get our of the house on time. We still paddle, and the schools that do have the least discipline problems of any school in the system. They average 3-4 paddllings a year. Small amount with maximum impact.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:43 PM on May. 26, 2009

• There are 15 states that still allow corporal punishment in schools. There is no way that I would ever allow my child's school to paddle my son, ever. There is no reason for someone else to physically touch my child. I didn't put my son in a private school because they required you to sign a release so they can spank your child. Nope, if I can be charged with child abuse for spanking my child there is no way I would allow a school to spank my child. The punishment needs to fit the crime and a paddling for being tardy is not appropriate. If a child is tardy, it may be the parents fault not the childs.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:22 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Paddling for being chronically late sounds a bit over the top. GA is one of those states that still allows corporal punishment, but its rarely used around here. More rural counties still do it, I am sure. I would not allow another person to paddle my child. That is my job and I firmly believe in paddling. Thats what I call it in my home as well, because I use a paddle. Is this child late because of her own doing or because of a parent having her there late? Nevertheless, I just don't believe in abdicating my authority to anyone. Oh and I wil mention that private schools usually have waivers you can sign because corporal punishment is usually part of their system. But also if the child has had disciplinary action taken in the past, the school doesnt have to accept them either.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:37 AM on May. 27, 2009