Where are all of the behavioral disorders coming from?

What do you think about all of these disorders and labels we slap on our kids? Where are they coming from? Is it more common today because of our technology and research? Do you think it's from bad parenting? Do you think it's from the environment? Or is it a way for parents to have an excuse for their children's bad behavior?

Why is it that we ALL know someone with a child or family member that has "something"? ADD, ADHD, PDD, ODD, bi-polar, etc.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on May. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• I believe it is a combination of parenting, diet, and over/misdiagnosis. We have become a pill popping society. If you don't fit into the mold, here's a pill to fix that. Dr's treat symptoms BEFORE looking for the cause. Our food supply has been genetically engineered. It is not the same as it was 20 years ago. There is little policing of the industry for contaminants. With both parents out of the household working, no one is there to be a constant in the child's life. The government has parents afraid to discipline their kids. Public schools teach kids that spanking is abuse, call 911. Children today fear nothing and think they deserve everything.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:52 AM on May. 27, 2009

• I think the majority of it is lack of parenting & diciplining, then wanting a quick & easy fix of the problem behavior, thus, the labeling and medicating. It's all very sad really.
    Anonymous

• I think personally it is more environmental and all the added chemicals from our foods - its gross and horrifying when you really read into it -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:30 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I think it's many things. 1) Technology and psychology are more advanced and mental illnesses are diagnosed versus swept under the table. 2) Diet, diet, diet- My family eats clean, no gluten, no processed foods. We do something called the Paleo diet ( not to lose weight, but for a healthy lifestyle) and I see a huge change in how I feel. I'm not near as blue and distracted as I used to be. I'm more focused and feel better, because I'm not ingesting anything that my body wasn't made to digest. There is a lot of research done on diet and behavioral issues. The American diet is full of foods that are poison for the body. The food pyramid is all wrong and seems to have been created by the agriculture industry, not what's actually good for us.

http://www.earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.html

It's a bit of a read, but if you have time,read the following link. That's just a portion of what I'm talking about.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 6:06 PM on May. 26, 2009

• The behavioral problems are coming from more knowledge of the disorders and what to look for. It has nothing to do with parenting or lack of parenting. There are no more people with mental health issues as in the past, there are just more ways to diagnosis them. The diagnosis and issues are from a combination of nature (what someone is born with) and nurture (how or where a person is raised. Not necessarily how they are parented but the environment that they live in). My friends daughter has PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) among a few other issues because at 4 yrs old she witnessed her father try to stab her mother to death. There are different reasons kids or people develop disorders and sometimes there isn't a reason it happens.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:19 PM on May. 26, 2009

• There are a number of studies out that show that food additives, such as artificial colors & flavors, are responsible for some of the behavioral disorders seen in children today, then add in all of the electronics & lack of exercise, genetically-modified foods, excessive amounts of sugars & carbohydrates, excessive amounts of chemicals & other pollutants in the home & general environment, families that are under constant emotional & evironmental stress and etc., etc., etc......Of course more children are being diagnosed with "something".
    Anonymous

• I actually do not know any child with any of these disorders. I did not grow up around all of these labels and none of my children or anyone I know has been labeled anything. I believe they are spiritual issues. I wont ellborate because it would go over everyones head.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:31 AM on May. 27, 2009