How did you get your kid(s) to stop wetting the bed?

My son is turning 5 in a month, and still wets the bed at night. The way he describes it is that when he sleeps long, his pants get wet when he wakes up. He does not remember having an accident, nor does he realize it. I've tried getting him up before I go to bed, but that seems to be a hit-or-miss solution. Any ideas?

mamahud

Asked by mamahud at 5:02 PM on May. 26, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Stopping fluids rarely works - his body will go right on making pee no matter how little you let him drink. A couple of things that can help:
    Wake him before you go to bed for a "midnight" run.
    Get a bedwetting alarm so it can wake him when he actually needs to go (helping to retrain his brain to listen to and react to that "I've got to go feeling" while asleep).
    Wait and let him outgrow it.

No matter what you pick, remember that this is very common for all kids and even more common for boys.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:37 PM on May. 26, 2009

• My almost 5 year old has these problems too. We stop giving him ANY food or drink 2 hours before bed and he has to go potty before bed. It's helped a lot! If that doesn't work, try limiting his sugar intake...watch the foods and drinks.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:05 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I routinely get my son up at 11pm every day. Do you really limit fluids after 6pm? You might consult the pediatrician, sorry I can't be more helpful but understand your frustration.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:06 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I stop giving fluids after 8pm and they go to bed at 9pm. Unfortunately this can happen until the age of 7. You will just have to keep some kind of pull ups on him until he learns not to do it. cool nights by huggies seem to help my cousins son who is 6.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 5:11 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Wait it out.
    People can give you all sorts of old wive's tales and cures that they swear worked for htem, but the fact is that no one thing is a cure all,a nd with-holding liquids can be cruel.
    I say this every time I see a post on bedwetting. I am 25 and I still wet the bed sometimes. It's not because of anything physical, it's not because of anything emotional, it's because I dream I'm getting up and going to the toilet, and once you start it's hard to stop!
    So be patient, be kind to him, buy extra mattress protectors, and wait it out. Don't make him feel bad about it.
    Good luck.
    Azure

Answer by Azure at 7:57 PM on May. 26, 2009

• My DD is just turning 4 and she finally stopped. I did not give her anything to drink 2 hrs before bedtime. Then i made sure she potty before bed which is 8 pm and then around 11 when i go to bed i bring her to the bathroom and she goes potty again and she is good for the night i did that for about 3 months and no i don't have to wake her up anymore she can hold it all night
    kaylajean86

Answer by kaylajean86 at 8:35 PM on May. 26, 2009

• My youngest is 7.5 yrs old and occasionally wets still. I got her pull ups but really just cut off drinks after 7pm cause she goes to bed at 8:30...she can have a tiny shotglass sized cup (it's an old Tupperware cup)of water if she's still thirsty. I took her to the doc for childhood diabetes b/c she drinks water like a fish and there's tons of cups of water sitting around if I don't monitor her. He said she was dehydrated even though she tanks up daily!! It's just her body type, not diabetes...so I excuse her bed wetting. She's doing better all the time.
    Momchipomkids

Answer by Momchipomkids at 8:53 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Same old question I'll answer with the same old question of what worked for us:

First, stop liquids after dinner. Only 2 or 3 SMALL sips at bedtime and THAT'S IT!

Make him go to the bathroom right before he crawls in bed.

Wake him up to go to the bathroom before YOU go to bed. ...Midnight/ 12:30 worked well for us. If we waited till 1 that's when he would wet.

Blank calendar with stickers with rewards. When he reaches a good amount of non-wetting nights (use 10 to 14 total - keep the total going even if he misses one or two in between).

Keep following the same steps for a month or two.

Then, WITHOUT telling him, quit waking him up at night and see how it goes. ....Ours no longer wet for the most part after this. We had maybe one or two accidents but that was it.

Good luck!

Anonymous

• If you have a true bedwetter....NOTHING works. You wait it out until their bladder matures enough and their brain can send signals to the bladder to tell it to wake you up. This is an immature bladder you are dealing with. Ive been a parent of a bedwetter for over 10 yrs. First is was my daughter who took meds on and off for it, but didnt really outgrow it until she was 11. Now my son is 7 1.2 and wets all night every night. Its not like he only pees once. He pees all night long. I cannot withhold fluids from him and I won't. It wouldnt help. You can try the bedwetting alarms and that sometimes trains the body to wake, or you can just put a pull up on him and wait it out or you can try meds when hes a bit older. I do that only for last resort. My dd's self esteem was plummeting and I had to do something. Iknow its annoying, but its just their little body not being able to wake up. Its not his fault and you cant teach him. GL.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:22 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Oh and DO NOT reward or punish this child for something they cannot control. That leads to feelings of failure. I never understood why someone would give a sticker chart to a child to represent something they have no control over and are not consciously doing or not doing. That makes no sense to me. You do not make a big deal out of it. You simply have him clean up his pull up or his sheets and make no mention of it. Bringing attention to it makes it worse. They don't want to wet the bed. They hate it as much as you do, so know that and go easy on him.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:24 AM on May. 27, 2009