When do you?

At what age do you start to give a fruit and veggie jar food to a baby. I have a 5 month old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:04 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if your baby can sit up without toppling over then you are ready. also you can try sitting him in a bouncer or his carseat and get him to take a few bites. I would give veggies first. my doctor and nutritionist said it is best for the first taste to be a veggie.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 5:07 PM on May. 26, 2009

• If your baby looks like he is able to sit and have a few teaspoons of stage one baby food, then it may be time to try. I started my son on yellow veggies per the doctor's request. He loved squash and sweet potato. If you notice that your baby starts to gag and is having a very hard time moving the food from the front of the mouth to the back, then perhaps you should give him/her another week or two. My son made horrible faces at first, I have to admit the store bought baby food tastes pretty bad, but you must try and try again. They won't always like what you give them, but be peristant. This teaches them to like a variety of flavors.
    myakita3

Answer by myakita3 at 6:00 PM on May. 26, 2009

• You will do it when you feel he is ready.

I started at about 5 months, maybe a little before. They had been on cereal for a few weeks and tried the three basic ones.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:11 PM on May. 26, 2009