Military Wives

My DH is deploying in a couple weeks, for 6 months. We have a 7 week old baby and she and I are going to be going home to Texas to stay with my mom and family from July to October. He has never deployed(except for a short 2 week TDY to England when I was 4 months pregnant). I was wondering how you coped with your DH being deployed after you had your child(ren). What did you do to pass the time? Was it hard on you? How did you deal with him being gone and missing seeing your child(ren) "grow up"? I know I am going to have a hard time because he is going to miss a lot of her "firsts"! I just need some advice and encouragement and would love to know your experiences with deployment! Thank you =)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:06 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My husband was deployed my entire pregnancy home on leave for her birth, and then gone for her first six months of life. I made sure that I kept up with her baby book, in addition my husband got me one of those video recorders that records to DVD's. I could record and put them right into the mail to my husband. Flip Camera's are great for catching short stills and emailing them straight to him. I was so busy developing schedules and her appointments that it went by really fast. Just make sure you keep the cameras out on the counter so you can record things quickly.

Having my husband gone while my DD was little made it easier actually. I was able to co sleep, and develop my own schedule with my daughter. I didn't have to worry about making dinner every night, or making sure I was taking care of hubby too! If I was tired I would make a Lean Cuisine, and go to bed. It is hard in the emotional aspect, but you just adjust.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 5:14 PM on May. 26, 2009

• My husband has not lived with his son for the entire time he's been in the military. That's a full 2 1/2 years now. His son was 1yr when he left for basic and ait. And then he went to Korea then to Germany and is now in Iraq.
    Some days are harder then others. I take lots and LOTS of pictures. I take videos of everything too. I post stuff on my myspace so that he can view them when he can. I send him boxes about once a month. I made a book for my DSS that was all about daddy and our time in Korea when we went to visit. We talk daily and web cam often. He gets to see his daddy on the web cam and it really helps (he's 3 1/2 yrs now). ...Some days are hard.
    Good luck.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:19 PM on May. 26, 2009

• My husband has only deployed once for 4 months in his 12 year Air Force career, but he has gone on numerous TDY's for anywhere from 2 days-2 wweeks. During the deployment I was super busy just because it was summer time and we have 3 kids who were 3, 8, and 10 at the time. I of course stayed at our house instead of going home because it was only 4 months and our kids were in school. I spent time with friends, his mom came out to visit, I took the kids and did things during the day. To keep in touch we would send weekly "care packages" with photos and such, and they got to talk on the phone about every other day. We also were able to do the webcam if he was able to get on at a decent hour before the kids went to bed. My husband leaves for Vegas (training) for 2 weeks this coming Saturday and he is missing our daughter's 5th birthday so we are just doing her party a week early. Just do little things like that..
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:53 PM on May. 26, 2009