Back vs. Tummy?!

My 3wk old son will sleep quite awhile on his tummy vs his back, where he will get startled and jump & ofcourse wakes up and whines. Problem is, im too scared to let him sleep on his tummy while im sleeping....What do you think i should do? Your views on this topic? Ive been sleeping on the couch with him since we've been home now & im desperate to sleep in my bed, with my husband! Thanks!

EthansMommy5

Asked by EthansMommy5 at 5:12 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my dd never slept on her back, she always slept on her tummy
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:15 PM on May. 26, 2009

• In my experience, neither one of my children would sleep on their backs at all. At first for the first couple of weeks they would. But not long. they were up every other hour. but my mom suggested with my first born that i swaddle him, it did not work. then she suggested tummy sleeping. and it worked. he slept through the night. (he was 8 weeks old) he had a good strong neck muscles. He was able to turn his head.
    my daughter was a tummy sleeper at 3 weeks and was sleeping through the night as well. now my son is 3 and my daughter is 18 months and are both side sleepers. You have to do what works for you and your baby.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 5:17 PM on May. 26, 2009

• im 22 and my mom said me, my siblings and all my cousins slept on our belly from birth. I used to test it out with DD when she was that little during nap time and she slept so much better so of course i got suckered in and ended up with her on my belly most nights and by the time she was 6 mos she was strictly a belly sleeper and still is and shes 11 mos
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 5:18 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I think that is something very personal. I co slept with my dd since my husband was deployed. She went into her own bed at 5 1/2 months, and I placed her on her tummy. I worried and worried, but she slept so much better. I kept a fan on in her room, never left anything in her crib, and she was sleeping with a pacifier at that time. She ended up being fine, and I am glad I made the decision that I did. I just think you need to weight all of your options before making any decisions. I know it is a hard one.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 5:19 PM on May. 26, 2009

• the startling is a normal thing newborns do, it has to do with a underdeveloped nervous system, they are not being startled like was once believed. Keeping that in mind you can let her sleep on her back and let her whine and if she begins to cry place your hand on her tummy briefly and sooth her, after a couple times of this she should get adjusted to it. My first son 14 yrs ago, he slept on his tummy for those very reasons. But now I have a 6 week old and he sleeps on his back and did just fine. You have to be so tired mama! Weigh the pros and cons of it and do some research on sids. They know so little but it is a fact that babies on their tummies have a high chance of sids. But that being said, we did all sleep that way and made it...i am just ersonal;ly afraid to take even the smallest risk. but it is a personal decision that you have to make and live with. goo luck and hoep everything works out. :o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 5:30 PM on May. 26, 2009

• My youngest was the same way, he has probably only slept on his back 5 times in his whole life. He just doesn't sleep well on his back. SIDS is a definite concern, but you can take other measures to reduce risk in other areas if you choose to let him tummy sleep. it's a tough judgment call, so good luck!
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 5:34 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Every 10 years the doctors change what it is because of a 'new medical break through'. Let your child sleep how they want to. Just be careful with the blanket and make sure there is nothing for her to strangle or choke on while sleeping.
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 5:41 PM on May. 26, 2009

• My son couldn't sleep on his back due to he would trow up and we would here him choking. but the Dr kept telling me and everyone else NOT to put him on his tummy. so I found this foam wedge it kept him from rolling over and I would put him on his side. the wedge contoured his back and tummy and kept him in that postion all night.
    northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 5:51 PM on May. 26, 2009

• i didnt let my daughter sleep on her side. i was really concerned about sids b/c 17 years ago i had a sister that it at 2 weeks old.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 6:03 PM on May. 26, 2009

• After reading article on a study about crib death, I've been less afraid to let my LO sleep on her tummy. We don't use a crib, and in our bed, we have a towel underneath the sheets, an organic cotton sheet on top of that, then the matching sheet set we have, then a spit up blanket so any dribbled milk or spit up doesn't stain the sheet. It's not the same as the article suggests doing, but it's as good as we can do for now, so that's what we're doing. Since my LO's been rolling over all the time, she ends up on her belly when she falls asleep and sleeps very soundly like that.

Here's that article:
    http://www.kinderstart.com:8080/kindertoday/996170489/index_html
    MelanieLouise

Answer by MelanieLouise at 6:03 PM on May. 26, 2009