Is it in my legal right to get rid of somebody's property that was left in my house and they abandoned it?

My cousin's daughter left my house after I asked her to leave and she abandoned all her belongings. It's been three weeks and neither her nor her mother did not answer any of my messages regarding her belongings. Now I'm about to move and this weekend i was packing and cleaning up so I just got rid of all her stuff.

yvette40

Asked by yvette40 at 5:15 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Relationships

• I would have a big yard sale and sell everything she had. pocket the money. if you have tried everything you can to get them to come pick up the belongings, there is nothing else you can do. it is not your responsibility to take her stuff to her. If you are moving, either throw it in the dump or sell it.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 5:19 PM on May. 26, 2009

• What else are you supposed to do with her stuff? You aren't a storage unit. I don't think you did anything wrong as long as you tried to contact them regarding the stuff. You snooze, you loose.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:23 PM on May. 26, 2009

• You don't watch much Judge Judy do you...
    You should've called the police department or a lawyer to ask.
    You have to notify with certified letter, and you kicked her out, she didn't just walk off and leave it. Which is illegal too if they live there. You have to give written notice, certified letters and sometimes even eviction notice to get them out.
    Hope she's not vindictive or you're going to be replacing all of that stuff.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 5:23 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Yes, the law is actually two weeks. Once she has left her things on your property for 2 weeks legally they have been abandoned and you have the right to either use them yourself sell them or just throw them out. You are protected by the law to do as you wish with her things at this point
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 5:24 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I would send her a registered letter saying the date you were moving and that she had until that date to get her stuff or it would be disposed of. Keep a copy of the letter as well.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 5:26 PM on May. 26, 2009

• too late abbynzachsmommy... she already got rid of it.
    I just googled it and I'm right.. you have to send certified letter.
    Here's the link for the laws on "abandoned properties".
    http://www.cga.ct.gov/2006/rpt/2006-r-0164.htm
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 5:34 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Oh crap Batman. NO! She has rights as a renter. You should have sent a certified letter to her telling her a deadline date or you'd get rid of them, just like any storage facility would have to do. You kicked her out of her "home" so you should have had to formally evict her but she left. She has the right to find a place to store her things within a 30 day period. She has the right to sue you for the value of everything you got rid of. Next time make sure you give WRITTEN NOTICE and make her sign for it.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:47 PM on May. 26, 2009

• k if you give written notice they have 30 days to get there stuff unless they go to court and ask for an extension of time but if not after 30 days u have the right to trash it
    sxyliljoker19

Answer by sxyliljoker19 at 5:51 PM on May. 26, 2009

• ya and get i notarized^^
    sxyliljoker19

Answer by sxyliljoker19 at 5:59 PM on May. 26, 2009

• First of all this was not her legal home. She was just staying here because she left her father's house cause she couldn't follow his rules. So I let her stay here and then she thought she owned my house. I asked her to leave if she couldn't follow my rules. I have my own kids to take care of.
    yvette40

Answer by yvette40 at 6:22 PM on May. 26, 2009