How do I get 4 week old to latch correctly?

I had my first baby 4 weeks ago, I am trying to breastfeed but she doesn't always latch on correctly. What can I do?

Angie

peachfuzz

Asked by peachfuzz at 5:21 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• just keep trying until you get it right and put on LOTS AND LOTS OF watever cream they gave you for your nipples. Wait until her mouth is nice and open and then kind pinch your nipple and put it in as much as you can so that she will lach on good. ask a nurse at the maternity center in ur hospital or go to americanbaby.com and they have videos and a bunch of tips.
    Anonymous

• Try nursing her in front of a mirror, this will give you a better idea of what is going on. You can also contact La Lache League, or the lactation consultant at the hospital where you delivered. If you have a friend or family member who breastfed, ask her to come by for a fresh set of eyes.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:26 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Also remember to relax, when you're tense the baby will be. Take some deeps breaths and maybe try getting a little on your nipple before so she can taste it. When I had my first baby the one thing my sister told me was to not give up. It can get a little stressful so just be patient with yourself and baby.. BTW Congrats on the baby !!!!!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:28 PM on May. 26, 2009

• You can try holding her in different positions. look them up there is the football hold, the traditional hold ect. the football hold always worked best for me. also, try putting sugar water on your nipples and maybe baby will get a taste of it and start to latch better. and if that doesnt work then i would try to get in touch with a lactation nurse at your local WIC office. they usually are a big help.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 5:29 PM on May. 26, 2009

• The only way I was able to correct my son's latch (after 6 weeks of toe curling pain) was to take him off each and everytime he latched wrong. Sometimes he would get SO mad and it took forever the first couple of days... but in the end it took 3 days to fix it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:30 PM on May. 26, 2009

• The best advice that I can give you is to find a certified lactation consultant. Second best is La Leche League or other moms who have breastfed successfully.

You need to identify exactly why it is that you think she isn't latching on correctly. Is she not getting enough of your nipple in her mouth? It could be that she's not opening her mouth wide enough and you need to help her by pulling down on her chin with one of your fingers while she latches on. Is she opening as wide as she can and still not getting enough in? Try compressing your nipple with your hand/fingers (kind of like you'd compress a really large sandwich to get it in your mouth) and then have her latch on.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 5:32 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I wouldn't try to feed her on a bad latch. Every time she latches incorrectly, take her off and start over. Wait until her mouth is way wide and put her mouth around your nipple really quickly so she does not have time to close her mouth anymore. Feeding her on a poor latch just encourages her to keep feeding that way. and for the nipples, I suggest letting them have as much air as possible and buying nipple shields for severe pain. They cost about twenty dollars, but trust me. They are worth it. I hope you have better luck with your daughter! Breastfeeding is worth it!
    Anonymous

• DO NOT LET HER GET AWAY WITH DOING IT WRONG! if she is not doing it right stop and start again, that will help any unnecessary pain. my son had a problem with biting, and what i did, was ban the pacifier( all he did with it anyway was chew on it, then me) and i would have him practice with my clean pinky, and if he bit me i would pull out, if he sucked, i would drip some milk into his mouth from my more than willing breast. so do it with a boobie out.

what ever you do just refuse to quit, think about how much money you can save with the breast! it is like the equivalent to a fully medicated hospital birth!
    teenagemama19

Answer by teenagemama19 at 5:38 PM on May. 26, 2009

• roll your nipple between your fingers to release a drop of milk brush your nipple on babies lip as soon as the baby opens wide hurry and put your nipple in babies mouth
    sxyliljoker19

Answer by sxyliljoker19 at 5:48 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Check out the information at:

When Latching

and

Baby led latching

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:21 PM on May. 26, 2009