Should she be teaching?? What would YOU say?

My sons 6th grade teacher has a...temper problem. She screams; A LOT. "Shut Up", "Get your butts outside", and "I cant take the noise anymore!", are just a few of the crazy things she has "screamed". Top of the lungs type screaming..face red, eyes watering, screams....

I asked my sons friends about this, who are also in the same class; they say she freaks out so bad sometimes, that it "really freaks them out".

Should she be teaching??
Maybe College level students would be a better choice for her..

Im writing a letter to the principal and superintendent regarding this teachers lack of emotional restraint...

What would YOU say in the letter??

A million thanks.

ShutterbugMama

Asked by ShutterbugMama at 5:33 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• well if she says it herself she can't take it anymore, so maybe she shouldn't be teaching at least like you said at that level, college may be better
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 5:35 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I would simply state my concerns with her manner of behavior as well as her vocabulary used towards the children. I would inform them of my child's feelings as well as that of his classmates. I would suggest they offer her classes about proper behavior and wording when dealing with children as well as anger management. How can we expect kids to behave appropriately when are placing adults in front of them that apparently are not able to behave appropriately.
    singedwingangel

Answer by singedwingangel at 5:36 PM on May. 26, 2009

• First, as uncomfortable as it may be you need to tell her what you have noticed. The principal and the superintendent don't want to hear it until after you have spoken to her. My sister had this exact problem last year. But her dd was in second grade and had never been in school before, so she was VERY freaked out about it. My sister talked to the teacher and told her that her yelling was really upsetting to Grace. The teacher said "Well I never yell at Grace" But Grace was sensitive to her yelling at anyone, not just at her.
    It could be that she doesn't realize how mean she sounds. This was the case with the teacher I am talking about. After my sister told her how mean she sounded she worked very hard to tone it down.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 5:40 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I would mention it to the teacher first and see how she reacts and go from there. Be warned, she may not see anything wrong with it. Then, you can go to the principal. It would probably help if other parents had the same concern, then you could all go in together. Kids shouldn't have to put up with that kind of behavior from adults. Teachers need to realize that these kids will emulate them and they're the ones who get into trouble.
    barby402000

Answer by barby402000 at 6:04 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Honestly, I would give my child a camera to record her having a fit and take it and show it to the principal. I can understand a teacher raising their voice and getting after kids, but SCREAMING at them? No, this woman needs help or needs to stop teaching.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:13 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Well, I went to battle with my son's first grade teacher after she physically abused my child and I incurred medical expenses on account of it.

I wish I could say that the school did the right thing, but in reality what they did is form a protective line between me and the teacher. It was not pretty and I had to go all the way to the superintendent before I heard the words "I'm sorry this happened." And I never did get what I really wanted, which was another adult in that classroom at all times. She was, however, forced to retire at the end of her contract the following year. Small consolation to me.

I disagree with the idea of talking to the teacher first if it's obvious there is a problem. And I think "Get your butts outside" is going too far. I'd go in person first to the principal to express my concerns. If that does not result in something changing, then I'd go to putting it in writing for them.
    divinity80921

Answer by divinity80921 at 8:51 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I would have the kids talk to the principal and let them explain to him or her. I would be more concerned that she is having some kind of mental health issue and needs help. Sometimes teachers need to yell to get the kids attention but it sounds like something more is going on and the teacher needs help. If this has been going on all year, you should not have waited until the end of the school year. If it just started happening, I would wonder if she was having personal issues. Definately talk to the principal, do NOT write a letter, go in and talk to the principal. I also would wait on writing the superindent. You need to deal with the principal and then if nothing is done, then you take it to the next level.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:54 PM on May. 26, 2009

• "My son is scared of Mrs. _____. Get her outta here."
    LOL, jk. I'd just say "I worry that Mrs. ____, a sixth grade teacher is not controlling her behavior around her class. It scares my child and his friends that I've spoken to and I wonder how she expects the class to behave if she doesn't. She yells at them. Not the kind of yelling that most parents do, but more like screaming. I don't see how this is effective and it worries me. I would prefer it if my son was not in this environment. Thanks for your time."
    lucedarvey

Answer by lucedarvey at 9:36 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I would c.c. that letter to the school board too, ask for a private investigation into the conduct of this teacher with her students if the situation is not resolved immediately. I would just clarify that you consider it inappropriate to be yelling at students and although you have no personal vendetta against this teacher she is clearly unstable and not suited to teach this class. You as a concerned parent would appreciate it if the school took an active role in this situation by interviewing students privately and by sitting by the class to see and hear your claims first hand. I'd leave it simple and with detailed explanations of what you know for sure. I would also arrange if you have time a meeting with the principle yourself, maybe a face-to-face might work out in the middle of the day, ask to take a stroll to this teachers room, if she's as loud and verbal as you say she is then she may get herself in trouble.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 9:38 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I would go straight to the school board and DEMAND she gets removed.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 10:05 PM on May. 26, 2009